Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Give Up The Funk" and "Brick House" tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Groovin_Joe, Jul 20, 2002.

1. :confused: i have been looking for the tabs for the funk songs. we got the funk by george clinton and the song shes a brick house y Rick James.

if anyone can help it would really help the cause thanks.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    FYI, "We Got The Funk" is actually titled "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucka)" and The Commodores did "Brick House," not Rick James.

:)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Brickhouse is in A.

4. :D I think he was after something a little more detailed... ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

These are both pretty simple lines with relatively few notes - but it is the rhythmic placement of notes in the bar that makes them great lines - but Tab won't help you with this......;)

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So true. Take another listen to Brickhouse. You'll notice that during the verses, the bassplayer is just sitting on the root of the key. It's the rhythm. Listen to the tune several times, and you'll hear it. The distinctive chorus bassline? Well, you'll have to figure that one out on your own, but it is very simple. Just listen to a lot to get a good feel for the rhythm.

7. boys.. wether the tab can help you with the rythem or not is not the question here.. ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's the only question in these particular cases!

9. Yes a good question is if tabs will help or not. I know that tabs arn't a great way to learn songs and improve your bass playing skills. BUT I am looking for the tab just to get the notes. I don't have time to figure out all the notes, the rhythm is not a huge problem, i can figure it out.

Thanks to the persong that said that Brickhouse is in A....

Thanks for all the help but please keep the suggestions comming...

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually, tabs are a very good way of learning songs, which is what most people use them for. Whether or not you will ever improve as a bass player, if all you know is tablature? Well, the jury is still out on that one.