Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Given all the recent flap about Eden.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Dec 13, 2002.

1. What do you think of their "NEW EXTENDED WARRANTY SERVICE"?????
    I find it a little odd for a company ready to be bought out is offering an Extended Warrenty plan out of the blue. I personally feel a little apprehensive about enlisting in a program with a company about to be sold. What do you think??

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    As the new owner would be bound to honor any prior warranties, I don't see a problem with them offering it. The extended warranties will bring in a new cash flow. Not a bad idea for a company that builds quality equipment . FWIW JMHO

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Most likely, the extended service plans are being extended because of the possible pending transfer of ownership.

It is likely an effort to ease people's concerns about buying Eden equipment with all the rumors going around.

I would see it as a positive that Eden is concerned about protecting its customers and its reputation during this period of uncertainty.

Chas

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    What have you got to lose by enlisting? What do you stand to lose by not enlisting? I don't see a problem.

5. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Depends on the contracts they draft. Morally and normally, sure they would. It'd probably be in their own best interests as well. Legally though, that's not necessarily the case.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was told that Dave says he will honor all the previous waranties.

Call your local Eden dealer and see what they say about it.

Peace
    Nick

7. I just bought a VT-300A last wk. I was looking on the Eden web sight and saw the ad for extended warranties. It has a form that you fill out asking about the dealer and some different dates and of course, YOUR CREDIT CARD #. One of the questions (date of manufacture) had me stumped because I didn't see anything on my amp or reciept about this. I email them ...... no response......I call every number on the web sight.....Machine telling me that the "MAIL BOX IS FULL". I've just recently discovered the flap over Eden being bought out by some secret co. Big deal, companies get bought and sold everyday. What I'd like to know is "Why isn't anybody answering the d@mn phone"??????

8. I have to disagree. If he does not control the company, he cannot guarantee anything.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    As another who's been burned by their lack of support for the better part of this year, I agree with you 100%. Thumbs up on their products, HUGE disgruntled thumbs down on their complete lack of support even long before this whole 'buyout'. I really couldn't care less what their going through as a business, I've worked in business long enough to know that the world doesn't stop because you're going through a merger or acquisition.

I've been employed in a financial capacity right in the middle of business combinations infinitely larger and far more complex than anything Eden would have going on, so please excuse me if I find fault with this unprecendented display of negligence where their customers are concerned. In fact, now is the time when a company needs to put their stakeholders (and customers) at ease the most, so I find Eden's complete ongoing lack of support completely unacceptable.

I have not been, nor do I intend to be, an Eden basher. I love their products, and hope to see them prosper in the future. But...they had better get their act together when it comes to support, and it's better to do so sooner than later. Business combinations in progress do not entail that a company put its customers on the 'pay no mind' list. Rant complete...

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im just saying what a reliable source told me.

Also, he will still be head of development and equipment, so its not like he is selling the company and taking a hike. He will still maintain an active role according to all sources asked.

Peace
    Nick

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know what youre saying, but also remember that while a larger companies merger is more complicated, they have more resources to help deal with it, while Eden has close to none.

It sounds like a part of the reason for Eden's sale is that Dave would rather not have to deal with alot of the buisness side of things probably becuase, as I stated, he doesnt have the resources.

Hopefully, with the extra resources this sale brings, they will improve their service.

Peace
    Nick

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I can see where you're coming from there, but I would have to respectfully disagree. Nothing against you NM. What's really hard to swallow here is "Eden has close to none...(referring to resources)." In fact, I found that's it's far more difficult to coordinate resources within a large firm where they are slower to adjust than in a smaller, more organic setup like Eden's might be.

A few things going for them:

-The company was founded in '76 according to the website. They're not a startup by any stretch.
    -Distribution is adequate, sales are good.
    -They have good products and charge a hefty premium for them, so return is not lacking.
    -I see their amps and cabs in tow with big name bands all the time (STP, Incubus, etc.) so brand equity appears to be in good standing as well.

Given that the company is fortunate enough to have all these things going for them, I would have to point within the company itself as to why they are lacking resources. The job market has been horrid for quite some time now, which means there's a surplus of qualified candidates out there for the taking. If they are too cheap to hire even one more support person to support their customers, then that's on them, not anyone else.

It's not too complicated, that's just business. If David held on to too much all this time, and was not willing to shell out for one more FTE, then he's going cheap and bears the blame. I've seen this sort of thing happen all too often, going cheap when you really don't need to. One more person is not going to scare away prospective buyers, believe me. It's all about how you allocate your resources and what you do with that you've got. Eden has a lot going for them, but they can't afford a support position? I don't believe that for a minute.

Even a temporary support person could help bridge the gaps...

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Makes sense.

I just wanted to point out what I thoyght could be a real possibility, but Im only 17, and dont know much about these things, so of course I could be wrong.

Peace
    Nick

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Sall good Nick, age is no matter at all. Alternate perspectives are always good, so don't ever hesitate to post your thoughts and feelings. Believe it or not, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

I hope my posts didn't come off too abrasive or anything, I'm just a hopeless skeptic when I see business take a bad turn, and my work experience has no doubt left me jaded when discussing such matters. At my current job, our division bears a tremendous responsibility for a broad spectrum of businesses within a very diverse environment, so I'm naturally more critical of what I perceive to be a much simpler operation.

In the grand scheme of things, Eden's place in the business world is a mere drop in the bucket. I'm coming off more critical because I personally have felt the burn of their lacking support during the year. At the end of the day, their negligence is affecting only a minority of the population. However, that population consists of fellow TB'ers, and I can see some share my frustrations. :(

Once again, I would like to see them come out of this for the better. Mostly because I would like their products to still be available to all in the future. We need companies like this out there who know how to make a good product. I'll bow out at this point, I've said more than my share on the subject.

(Truth be told, I'm really just having a bad day at work and need to vent!) :p

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I kinda thought my post might come across in that way though it wasnt supposed to. Your post did not come across as abrassive, I was just commenting in reply to it that we have different views, both just speculation, but that mine are founded a bit more on ideas than experience.

By saying I was 17 I merely meant that I have less experience, and alot to learn because I havent been exposed to as much. I do agree that age doesnt not have much relavance most of the time, but it cant be denied that with age (usually) comes experience.

Peace
    Nick

16. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Not that I am a credible source or anything, but I understand that recent events, and the pending sale, has more to do with necessity than a desire to stick with the technical side of things.

That being the case, a drop in service is an expected symptom. I have my own opinions that things aren't near as rosy as they seem but instead I'll stick to the facts. Don't feel bad about getting busy signals and no return calls, as I suggested in my Eden thread, some of their biggest customers/retailers cannot get through either and have been receiving no timely return calls/emails. Now, at least, we likely know why.

But don't take my word for it.

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    NM:

Wise comments for sure, I agree completely.

You're also far more astute than I was at that age if you don't mind me saying.

18. I'm in the same boat as Seamus. Not knocking you but having worked for large corporations, I've seen "the mysterious upper management" do things that hurt both the customer and their own staff in order to save money.

I'm just saying that if he has no clout other than persuasion, he can't guarantee anything - noble intentions and all...

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im hopping that Dave makes sure thats taken care of wen all the papers are signed. It sounds like he definetly wants to.

Peace
    Nick