1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving a black finish to a bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tymophil, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi all,

As I stated in a previous thread, I want to put back into playing shape an old Aria Pro II bass with a very special (very narrow spacing) bridge.

I guess I won't find a straight replacement. I thought that I could try to use the old one, but giving a black finish to it. Is it possible ? If so, how ?

Thanks.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you want the new finish to last I'd suggest looking around locally for a company that does plating or industrial coatings - black is usually a powder coating process and not something you would want to/could do at home.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
  4. bro)))616

bro)))616

Jul 18, 2007
    fontana,CA
    id like to know to!!

like is there paint we could buy that would work?

5. Tymophil,
    I found myself in a similar situation w/ an Univox HiFlier. The bridge had a spacing of 15mm. I search high and low and finally found a Schaller bridge that fit the bill at http://www.dguitarparts.com/.

"BB 3533 Schaller® Bass Bridge, Steel, Black, With Adjustable Spacing 1-13/16" to 2-5/8"

Their website is pretty rudimentary, but they are nice people to deal with. I can't find my receipt but if I remember correctly the bridge with shipping came to about $70.00.
    I purchased the chrome model and it is a pretty heavy little chunck of metal....nice finish too!
    70 bucks is pretty steep but I am sure that having yours replated wouldn't be cheap either.
    Good luck with your project! Post some pics!

PS: I am not in any way affiliated w/ Dguitars

6. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    I have found some products used for blackening guns. Will they do the trick ?

7. Tymophil,
    is the bridge brass or chrome?

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    That process tends to be a translucent deep blue-grey, but it will work.

Anything applied as a paint that needs to dry will not withstand the rigors of playing for very long.

9. Check out Dixie Gun Works
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php

They have the various bluing/browning chemicals you would need. If the bridge is brass there is a chem for blackening.....if it is chrome i'm not sure. If i remember correctly it is difficult to deal with chrome as far as applying a finish to it.

10. dubyaresee

dubyaresee

Dec 3, 2007
    Duracoat is probably the best you can do in your own home without buying a lot of equipment.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/images/duracoat_faqs.cfm

It's more gun stuff. It resists abrasion really well, though.

As mentioned above, if you're just doing that one bridge, you'll probably save money having a machine or metalworking shop do it in whatever hot dip tank is appropriate for the type of metal.

11. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I did a Gotoh P bridge a few years back.
    Used a red scotchpad to scratch up the chrome(helps the paint adhere)then applied a couple of light coats of VHT Rollbar paint from a rattlecan(self etching epoxy primer) which came out as a very low gloss matt black.
    Turned out quiet well and was fairly scratch and stain resistant.

12. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    The Schaller bridge is not well suited to my Aria Pro II . There is a shallow cavity for the bridge. The cavity makes the Schaller bridge to low, and the cavity is not wide enough.