1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Giving away Cascade hop rhizomes - Free

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 25, 2013.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Cheers to all you home brewers and anyone interested in growing hops.

****EDIT****
    This year I am not going to be able to send out any hop rhizomes because the roots are so unhealthy and I don't know if they'll even recover. See my final post in this thread.
    ****EDIT****

This is my annual "giving away Cascade hop rhizomes" thread and I will be making a list of anyone who wants some plants to get started growing them on your own. These are completely free of charge and I'm even covering the cost of domestic shipping (USPS).

Pinging the thread to indicate your interest or to ask a question is optional, but if you want to be included on the list for free hop rhizomes you must PM me with your U.S. mail address. A PO box is fine.

Please see this link to these two previous threads for a thorough explanation of this whole deal so you know what you're getting into.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/giving-away-cascade-hop-rhizomes-636665/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/giving-away-cascade-hop-rhizomes-season-2-a-752678/

And this:
    http://www.brewery.org/library/HopGrow.html

This is what you'll be getting in the mail - 3 of these guys:

[​IMG]

Usually, by this time of year the hops are starting to poke up out of the ground but right now the ground is still frozen and there's 3 inches of snow in my back yard, so I don't know exactly when I'll be able to dig them up and send them out. I'll be sure to keep you all posted with regular updates.

Cheers!

-Dan Cote

2. Like I said in the Home Brewers thread... If I wasn't tentatively selling my house and moving far far away, I'd take you up on this. It's VERY cool of you to offer them!!

3. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Okay, the ground has finally thawed and I'll be digging up the hop rhizomes this weekend. Anyone who wants some should have sent me a PM by Noon, April 5th.

So far I have:

DwaynieAD
    masonsjax
    ccpbass
    bassist11
    newhoppyguy

Cheers,
    --Dan

4. it is indeed very cool of you to offer them....good luck with your digging....

having said that, i don't want any....when i first started brewing beer and discovered Cascade, my mind was blown...."where has this been all my life" i thought...and i proceeded to use it in every beer i made...until i got sick of it.

there is just something about the extreme flowery smell and taste that i don't dig anymore....now, when i make beer...which, actually, I haven't in some time, i prefer one the English varieties, Fuggles and the like....

i guess it goes better with the english style ales that i prefer to make....using Maris Otter barley, of course.

davesignatureII-1.

5. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I got some of these 3 years ago and one that I planted next to the house has been doing great. Grows 12-15 feet tall each summer, though it gets a bit scraggly by late August. I'll probably be getting a bunch of shoots again in a couple weeks. Gotta get some new twine put up for them.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Are you going to give Phoenix a try?

-Mike

7. I'm meeting with a realtor next week to list my house. Once it's gone, so am I. ;)

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Right on. I think you'll like it.

I got family in Gilbert and Glendale. They migrated down that way from PA too. Let me know if you need anything once you get there. Us PA peeps gotta look out for each other. :)

-Mike

9. Awesome. Thank you, sir! :)

10. Is it too late!? PM'ing you.

11. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Just made it. PM me your address and I'll get you hooked up.
    :hyper:

12. Quick question. I just inspected my vine and it's dormant at the moment. Weather has been cold and dry, should it come back by itself and should I trim some of the old vine?

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The ones you sent me a while ago still grow every year up the ladder my dad built for them. They haven't ever been really big, but I suspect a lot has to do with our soil.

14. Having tried multiple CO wines when I lived there, I'd agree. They all tasted like dirt! Haha

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Our beer is pretty badass though. I bet most of the brewery's get hops from other areas of the states though...

16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Is it too late?

17. Hell yeah it is, dude! There's a crap-ton of micro breweries out there too. It was the best part of living there! Haha

18. newhoppyguy

newhoppyguy

Apr 7, 2013
    just hoping to know if its too late to take you up on the free hops or if they are already gone?

19. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    No worries. It's been cold here in northern Illinois and the new shoots are a bit late poking out of the soil. Just today I burned off most of the dead vines hanging on the fence from last year to make some clear room for the new vines.

You can clear the dead vines away if you want to but it isn't strictly necessary. If you don't, the new shoots will just wind their way around and among the old, dead ones making everything a bit untidy, but it won't really affect the growth.

20. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I suspect the climate is a bit dry and the soil too sandy for optimum growth. Hops are thirsty plants and need lots of water (and nutrients) to maintain their phenomenal growth rate in mid summer. Make sure you water them every day and keep the soil slightly moist, but not actually wet, when there isn't enough natural rainfall.

Good luck.