1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving my landlord my 30 day notice...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Time Monkey, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    What does the note need to say?

Just like.... "I will be out of the property at (adress) by july 3rd, 2011" or something like that and just sign it?

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it's at-will tennancy, you should not provide anything more than that. If you signed a lease that isn't quite up yet, you may be stuck with the remainder of the year lease's rent money balance. If you wanna get fancy, have a notary stamp it.

3. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    it was a six month lease that was up a year ago.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You should be just fine then. At least you are giving the courtesy of a notice. Some people flake and leave, no notice, and THEN try to collect their last month AND security. Usually after trashing the place. them people are assholes.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just talk to the landlord and ask if they even want one. They might have a pre-written one that you date and sign.

6. You will want to take pictures of the place before you leave and possibly schedule a walk through with the landlord if you want your deposit back. The pictures will protect you if someone else trashes the place later or if the landlord tries to sue you using pictures of another unit. If you do the walk through try to have the landlord sign a paper about the condition of the place upon your departure, that it is acceptable etc.

Of course, if you trashed the place it is another story entirely.

Last time I did a walk through, I had a very nice landlord. There were a couple of issues WRT damage that I caused to fixtures that already were old and had a lot of wear and tear before I moved in. We were able to come to a reasonable compromise where I payed a percentage of those replacement costs and got most of my deposit back. YMMV depending on the landlord.

S