Giving to cancer charities?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NML1986, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill Still here Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'n not going to take on side or the other on animal testing in this particular post, other than to say that the argument that what works on rats and mice won't work for humans is not a good one. All mammals are closely related and many substances will have very similar, in some cases identical, effects on different members of the group. The issues about animal testing are much more to do with ethics than they are to do with technical validity.

2. Good points!

While I do agree, to an extent, with communicating better, it's something that's just going to take more and more time away from actual research. But on saying that, one of the biggest issues is "Scientific Journalism", where so called Science-Correspondents so very often get things completelly wrong and publish it, to the general public, as gospel, and the general public will very rarely follow up and read the original published literature.

3. Absolutely.
    But there are some important differences, and because we do not fully understand them, sometimes we see an interesting effect in our animal tests that does not entirely translate to the human trials...
    It happens more often than you'd imagine. Hence the importance of human trials in the end.

4. Very true.

I think you and I live relatively close... you must have noticed all these "public engagement" activities growing in the part few years.
    The people involved usually have a science background, but they normally no longer actively participate in research. You are right, it would be too distracting.

As for scientific journalists... some write very misleading articles, you are right.
    I am amazed how many times I notice bad errors, in areas I know well. It makes me think that what I read from other areas may be just As full of errors, I just don't notice them.

5. I take part in a lot of public engagement activities, but I have had to really scale back on them. Maybe once a month during the week now, quite often get involved in weekend activities though.

Was involved with the BBC-Bang Goes The Theory event in Edinburgh last year (wasn't able to attend this year) and I do some pretty regular stuff with HWU and the Institute of Physics.

For the most part though, you're right, it is generally non-scientists (who have learnt a few science tricks), undergraduates or retired academics/industrial researchers. At the HWU physics department, we certainly try to get as many PhD students, RA's and Academics involved as we can, but many don't want to give up the time, which is a shame.

As for the journalism, I always try to read up the original literature if something seems a tad far-fetched or doesn't sit right, something many people don't have the luxury of doing, especially not with the price of journals if your employer doesn't give you access!

6. BassyBill

BassyBill Still here Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is of course correct, but some people see this is an argument against any animal testing, which of course it is not.

I'm not saying there aren't any good arguments against animal testing - only that this is not one of them.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    I give to Mercy Ships & to Charity Water. Real results & proof & how. Forever.

mercyships.org
    charitywater.org

8. Yes I give to many charities through out the year The American Cancer Society being one of them.My wife is a breast cancer survivor early on in life when we had just two kids and very little income and no health insurance to speak of, they helped pay % of a very large hospital bill which we are forever grateful.With out the donations we could never have afforded her treatments now we give as much as we can. When life throws you grapes you make wine when you can afford to buy the wine you buy it and give it someone else.