1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving Up My Search!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_whitlock, May 11, 2010.

1. d_whitlock

d_whitlock

Jul 13, 2009
    So, here I sit, brokenhearted. I feel as though I have been searching my whole life....realistically, the last 14-16 months on a Burgundy-Glo Rickenbacker (either the 80's models or a 2002). I have searched TB, I have called vintage guitar shops all over the country and have exhausted each and every lead I have come across. I have, quite stupidly, had several opportunities to grab one but for one reason or another, generally money issues at the time or issues with quality, and after scouring the web, still have come up empty handed. So today I think I am going to call off my search.

:bawl::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::bawl:

So, My question to everyone of you is, what is your "one that got away"???

What has been your elusive white whale that you have always been looking for but haven't gotten the chance to pull the trigger???

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have been looking for the same bass you have and I gave up and bought a Jetglo one.

After thinking about it, I'm glad I did. It fits better for what I do.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Odd color's are a tough one. +1 to the look for another color idea. I've had 3 jetglo's, 3mapleglo's, and 1 fireglo, and now add to that a trans green. Maybe go out on a limb, and find a Dark Cherry Metallic 4003? Or, screw the 4003, and find a translucent 4004Cii. It's a better, more modern Ric bass, and hardly anyone has one.

4. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    I wouldn't give up yet. There was one for sale on craigslist in my area 3 months ago that a guy sold to someone else after telling me I could come buy it on Wednesday. Man was I angry and I let him know how screwed up that was to do.:(

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I've been looking forever for a lawsuit Ibanez thunderbird from the 70s, since I own vintage Ibanez copies... I own a p, a j, and a 4001, and used to own a ripper as well and sold it to a friend who got his stuff stolen... If anyone has one I'll gladly buy it or trade for it. Been about 3 years looking. I'll probably settle for a greco tbird which are great i've heard, but I would really love to own an ibanez lawsuit...

6. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I wanted a 1980 G&L L1000 mahogany sunburst with ebony neck but once I found a sweet cherry mahogany stain with maple neck I bought it. Never looked back because its such a great bass.

BTW Im not affiliated but

http://www.kebosbassworks.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=215

;) :D

Ok its not an 80s model...

7. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    Yep. Old SX necks. :D:D

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Buy a scratched up one and have it refinished.

9. My always-wanted-one-but-never-bought-one is a Ric 4005. Mapleglo or fireglo, doesn't matter. They were always too expensive, as they are now...only now it's even more so.

10. d_whitlock

d_whitlock

Jul 13, 2009
    Fumble, I like it but Im looking for one with the triangle inlays...

11. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  12. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Wait, you've looked for over a year, you are broken hearted, at the end of your rope...but you'll pass because the inlays are the wrong shape? ?~:-\

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I say keep looking. I looked for years and years for a Martin EB-18, which are fairly rare. Patience ultimately pays off:

[​IMG]

14. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Keep looking, you can find 'burg Ricks.

The '02 COY's are pretty scarce but RIC made a ton of them early on.

15. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

Mar 24, 2008
    Belgium
    a burgundy gibson grabber

16. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Don't stop looking. It'll turn up. I didn't think I was going to get my azureglo rick. But here it did eventually pop up somewhere.