1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving up playing for real, just to gig for fun?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Hookus, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have played for a long time, trying to put together and play in projects to make money, get noticed, all that jazz. Problem is, now that I'm 32, I have realized my dreams of being a rediculously famous rock star are gone. I am thinking of putting together projects now that are solely based in directions I want to go, and take off into sort of experimental territory. I have a day job that pays well enough, and don't need to make money gigging.

Has anyone here given up the "dream", and just done their thing? Advice? Do you regret it?

2. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    not me. for me, it's always been a hobby that puts some coins into my pocket and it's always been about "fun." I never had any illusions about being a star or doing it for a living. It's quite liberating to not depend on this for my daily bread -- means I can do the projects I want. I can walk away from crappy situations. And as my years advance, I have come to appreciate the fact that people are still paying me to have a good time a few times a month.

you might like it.

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    After nearly 27 years of full-time music (raised a family, bought a home, etc) I had to finally get a day gig when a severe family illness forced me to get stable income and guaranteed benefits. It broke my spirit completely when I quit full-time gigging and got the day job .... for about a week ;)

I got over it really quick once I realized that money was no longer my primary concern in life. I also really liked the fact that I didn't have to take every single POS music date that came along simply to get the money in my pocket .....

Now, I play because I love it, not because I need the money. I still make very good coin in music, (actually made more music-related income in 2006 than I did in my last full year of full-time music employment in 1992), but I'm playing what I want and having great fun ..... :D :cool:

4. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    +1.
    It is quite liberating to be able to play what you want, when you want and know your "day job" can still meet the bills, and you eat on a regular basis. It can still be fun, so enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.

5. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    You gave up your dream the day you chose not to have fun playing. I doubt there is a single rockstar out there that stopped having fun and made it.

6. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    I have a great day job.....so money is not my reason for playing. i am also in 3 bands right now.....and it puts BAM in my and my wifes pockets...gas money etc. But my main form of musical inspiration is with my studio...My friend and i love writing whatever the hell we want.....from great to stupid.....I can't say for sure if i ever had dreams of be a super rock star...it sure would have been nice, but i never put myself in a situation that would have made it possable. So, I am content with my life and music as it is. Playing is all i care about...and i seem to be doing alot of that. John

7. Exactly the same here mate. While we were at uni we had all the time in the world to rehearse, write, market ourselves, cut demos etc. Then reality in the form of careers, relationships and money worries got the better of us

We are a band for hire now, just going for reputation by mouth. We don't gig too frequently but when we do they tend to be big weddings, corporate do's or uni events.

Don't regret it at all though mate. Best thing is, you gave it a shot, and that's the main thing, most people don't.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guess what...I gave up the dream and things got better.

You know the saying life is what happens while you're making plans, well that's what my "career" in music has been like. I fell into doing lots of ad-hoc and sub gigs and pretty soon I was in reasonable demand, playing as much as I wanted with my day job taking pressure off paying the bills.

I always liked a lot of musical styles beyond rock and as I got older and greyer I've been able to work in a wide variety of them which is not only fun but got me into gig opportunities just not available to rockers.

I've done short road trips, played huge festivals and theaters, recorded a bunch of LPs and CDs, appeared in a movie, performed live on the radio, been written up in newspaper and magazine articles, recorded and gigged with some of my musical heroes (nothing like being on stage playing with someone whose records you listened to as a kid).

In hindsight I've accompished quite a bit and I'm still having a lot of fun playing.

9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If having fun and playing for a living are two different things, you're not doing it right.

:p

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm thinking about giving up the band thing and just record my own music! The scene where I live is just not condusive to the music I like and grew up playing and I'm not about to gig just to gig espescially playing music I don't like at all! I'm tired of trying! So am I having fun? Hell NO!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021