Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gizmotron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I have heard various things about the gimzomotron, both good and bad, but i want to know...does it actually work?
    my assumption is no, as they didn't seem to catch on, yet, i heard that jimmy page used one (http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/gear.htm) so maybe it did?

anybody have anything to add?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It worked but was terribly unstable, got out of tune constantly.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    http://www.beitec.com/articles/vintage/vintage1.html

Good 4-page article on the history of Musitronics, the company that put out the Gizmotron, and what ultimately bankrupted the project.

The way it worked is that it had 6 wheels with teeth that spun around on the guitar strings to create synth and string type effects. It worked, but it seems that nobody knew how to work it properly except its creator, former 10cc guitarist Lol Creme.

4. yeah, i read that already, it is a good read...
    does anybody on TB have one?

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've got one put up in the box somewhere. It doesn't seem like it'd be that reliable a contraption, IMO. I dunno. I haven't looked at the thing in a few years. I'll try to take it down and get some pics of it and all this week.

6. how do you attach it to the bass?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd really like to try one of those out one day.

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Sorry, no for sale ads or WTB's. Those are for supporting members only ;)

9. I remember playing a bass outfitted with one in the late 70's, it was actually quite cool for a bowing effect. It was really quite easy to use and very musical and I was surprised that it never caught on. With a little technique you can always play with an Ebow and really get a similar effect.
    If I still played 4 string I would have one for sure. ;)
    Dirk

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

11. cool find jazz!
    anyways, anyone know how that is attached to the bass?

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Dammet, I forgot to take pictures! I'll be back at the shop later this week, so I'll get some pics of mine and maybe try to scan the installation instructions if they're still in the box.