1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001/700?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b.bandit, Oct 29, 2009.

1. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I think I am going to throw down on one of these heads, but the problem is that I have had limited time to experiment. I do enjoy warm tone and have loved my -peavey Alphabass in the past.

At GC I feel I have been able dial in some decent tones that I like. Mostly every video I have checked online of people playing 1001/700's is to nasal or too scooped. I like a bit more low mids with a warmness to it, but still decently tight sounding.

I understand this is a more modern sounding head, but can it do a semi vintage thing?

Does this head just have tons of tonal options and others choose to use setting that make it sound unpleasing to me? OR
    Am I just not really hearing it well enough when I experiment?

I am coming from a GB GBE 600 and I have no interest in Markbass.

2. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I have no problem dialing in a vintage vibe to the tone...... however, for me, I think that comes more from my hands, strings and bass.

I think the thing you're seeing in the vids is guys cranking the contour and presence up ... and they're playing with really bright strings.

Keep the eq flat, low contour and presence, 5 string filter engaged, and dial in some boost. You'll get some grunt, warmer lows, and punchier low mids. You can adjust your eq from there.

3. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    kind of what I was thinking.

I use a G&L SB-1 with flats, that should also help tame some sizzle

4. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I see the differences between the 1001 rbII and 700rbII.

But what about the 1001 RB and 700 RBII?

5. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any ideas?

6. Skunk11

Skunk11

Sep 9, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have the 700 RBII and a Genz Shuttle and the GK is definitely more warm sounding than the GB. I usually roll off a lot of the lows and low mids on the GK because I like the cleaner, more mid-defined sound of the GB. BTW - I know this isn't the for sale section, but I have been thinking about selling the GK because it hasn't seen much use in the past 4 or 5 months since I bought my GB, it's just sitting in my rack at church as a backup - interested?

7. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    any other thoughts?

8. Enron Hubbard

Enron Hubbard

Oct 29, 2009
    I picked up a GK 1001RB II a month ago after ditching my longtime Mesa Bass 400+ (before that I played mainly Ampeg and SWR gear) and I just absolutely love it.

It's super versatile, plenty of power, has a well thought out layout and it just sounds great. I'm considering trying out the GK fusion 550...same basic amp but with a tube preamp. If it's significantly different I might make the switch. Otherwise I'm a GK 1001RB user for life. :)

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i went for the 1001RBII to get more headroom. for me, it gets anywhere from vintage to modern tone with plenty of punch. 'nasal and scooped' are opposites, so if you've heard recordings of it sounding both ways, that should tell you something. IMO, its a very good head. some guys on here say they like the 700 because it growls earlier, but that has never been a problem for me. i've made my 1001RBII growl at almost any level.

10. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks the 1001 RB in question is the older model at 540 watts? Not the mark II

Will the 700 RB-II be sufficient for most things?

You guys run in 8 or 4 ohms?

I am hoping to run a single cab. Think probably a 4ohm 4x10 is the best idea. Would a 8ohm 4x10, 2x10, 2x12 be sufficient for most mid sized clubs?

I am intrigued by the small size of bag ends (used) maybe an avatar (used), a Carvin Neo (used), or used GK's

11. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I'm using a 700RB ll with an 8ohm GK 410 Neo and believe me it's plenty for most anything short of doom/death metal clubs. With an 8ohm cab you always have the option to add another 8ohm cab later if needed. Two cabs totaling 4ohms will be way louder than just one 4ohm cab by itself, even if the single cab is being pushed by a few hundred more watts.
    Try it, you'll like it....... :hyper:

12. b.bandit

b.bandit

Sep 20, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    So shed the 2x12 go 8hm 410

Avatar, GK, bag end? all in my used price range I hope.

SBX or RBX I prefer vintagey as possible.

13. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    With enough cone area, the 700rbII's 480 watts is plenty.

I have two cabs.. the GK Neo112 and the GK Neo212. I love the HMS. With those two cabs and the 700rbII, I have pretty much every gig around here covered. We've even done some bigger outdoor stuff on huge stages, and it was more than sufficient.... I even had some headroom left. I love the neo12's, and my bandmates really love them. A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling incredibly lazy, and took my SWR WM12 to rehearsal (I had the gk rig set up in my house, and didn't feel like tearing it down). I thought they were gonna send me home to get my GK. We played a small/med sized place last night, and I did it with just the 112.... and no PA support.... it sounded killer.

Ljazz