Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001 for slapping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jun 27, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is the GK 1001 useable for slapping?
    What kind of music are you using the
    1001 (or 700) for? Is this a versatile
    amp for jazz, r&b, funk? Tried an
    EBS hd350. Great for thumb, not as
    usable for fingers. I do like amps that
    speak fast.

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Should I take it from the no responses
    that the general opinion is that the
    GK1001 is a hunk of crap or just lack
    of interest on the subject?

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using a 1001rb for nearly 3 years and I can attest that it's a great amp for slap or fingerstyle. Great tone and lots of head room. The controls make it very easy to dial up a desired tone.
    I've never tried an EBS.

If you do a search of this forum for comments on the 1001rb, you'll find a mixed bag of opinions (positive and negative). Some people don't like the tone of GK, and they say that the company has quality control problems. I guess I've been lucky, no problems at all, and I like the tone of my amp.

4. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just traded for one as a backup amp and it sounds good so far. I'm using it on my gig tomorrow so I'll know more then.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I recently did a 4 hour gig with the 1001rb into a Bag End 15 and an Eden 210xlt,both of which I normally power with an Eden WT300.I was impressed,it made those speakers come alive and the tone was very solid,both with fingers and slap.I like it.

6. imo GK is one of the greatest slap amps you can buy... combine it with a stingray for THE classic slap setup.