1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001-RB @ 4 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moggieman, Apr 9, 2010.

1. moggieman

moggieman

Jan 25, 2009
    Am I missing something? Is there an ohms switch anywhere on this? I made an earlier post about my speakers being potentially damaged, but I think I might be running the amp at 8 ohms into a cab that handles 4 ohms (ampeg 410 HLN).

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    SS amps do not require a switch for different impedance cabs.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    A cab does not "handle" a certain number of ohms.

The impedence of a cab refers to how much it impedes the flow of electrons from the amp.

4. moggieman

moggieman

Jan 25, 2009
    well, my speakers must be messed up then :/. they continue to rattle even at relatively low volumes.

5. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Try a different cab, if it sounds like it is supposed to, then you will have your answer.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You probably have a damaged speaker, or it cannot handle the power of your amp.

It is also a small possibility that the amp has a problem. You can check all of the above by trying it with another cab for comparison.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you run your head into a 4 ohm Cab you will be getting the 4 ohm power rating from your amp and a 8 ohm cab will will get your 8 ohm power rating from the amp!!... depending on what model of 1001 rb you have... The older 1001rb (old Gray strip)...was 540 watts at 4 ohms and 380 at 8 ohms and the New1001rb MkII is 460 at 8 ohms and 700 watts at 4 ohms!!...I would defiantly checking out how much your cab handles...Also Be very careful about running 2 cab together with that head!! you can run 2 8 ohms cabs together give you an 4 ohm load... But you can not run another 8 or 4 ohm cab with the 4 ohm cab..it will drop your ohmage of your head down to ether 2.6 or 2 ohms and you will Fry your head...some heads can handle a 2 ohms loud But that one wont.She will Get very hot very fast!! Hope that helps a lil bit best of luck!!

8. moggieman

moggieman

Jan 25, 2009
    the cab is rated at 500w at 4ohms (ampeg 410 HLN). the head works fine with a different (GK) cab, so the speakers must be bad.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well There you go...you can run the head to that cab... but you will have to be very careful cause the head puts out 200 watts more then that cab can handle...if the cab was a 8 ohm cab you would be safe to run it normally...since the head would be putting out less watts then the cab is rated for.... Being that said it also depends on how you run your head too!! If you cranking the volume and running the bass eq pretty high it is going to make them speakers work a hell of a lot harder then if you just eq it back a lil and dont put so much bass to the cab!!... So getting back to your statement i would say you have some speakers that are more then likely cooked... Just match up a really good cab or couple of cabs that are 8 ohms or if you do use another 4 ohm cab make sure it is rated to handle the 4 ohm load the amp puts out. Awesome Amp Love mine to No end would Not trade it for the World!!! Best of luck Mate!! Cheers!!