1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gk 1001 rb ii and hartke hydrive 410 help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robertebooker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. robertebooker

robertebooker Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    I recently purchased a 1001 rb 2 and Im blown away with the sound, i can get get every genre of music from it.. But my current cab won't but the mustard cause the 1001 has allot of power to give and i have to play it at very low volume with my ampeg 15. I found a great deal on a hydrive 410 and i wanted to pair them together.

My question?
    The 1001 is 460 watts at 8 700 at 4
    The hydrive is 1000 at 8.
    Is there anything i need to worry about?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    No: On hooking up the RB1001-II with a Hydrive 410.

Yes: on pairing the 4x10 with the 1x15.
    EDIT: sorry, I think you meant by pairing your amp with the cab right? Not the cabs togheter. ??? my bad

BTW, wich ampeg cab do you have?

3. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    I mean if i pair the 1001 with the 410 will it be okay power wise.. I have the svt classic 15. 200 watts. Not enough..

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    That will be okay. Basicly you can pair any cab with any amp. You don't have to match the thermal power handling of a cab with the RMS power of an amp.

For your loudness issue you'd do a nice trade up.
    I have no experience with the SVT15E. Is that such an underperformer? I would guess so judging by the specs.

I tried my RB1001 with my Ampeg PF115LF, and that was certainly loud enough.
    But that is a totally different animal.
    Now I'm using a PF350 with that cab. And I'm planning on getting another PF115LF.

My taste in cabs has changed. I have also a Hartke 410XL, which is a great cab, but no more 4x10's or sealed cabs for me.

So, you just need to justify if the Hydrive 410 is your taste in cabs. I tried one and it seemed a decent piece of gear to me.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Do you understand what those numbers refer to? :eyebrow:

MM

6. Just to be clear, if you intend to mate the 4x10 with your 15 don't. The thing will limit your system to less than the 4x10 is capable of.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    It should work fine. I own a hartke lh500 with a gk neo 4x10 and it sounds totally awesome. especially when I use my effects. as long as the gk bass head can handle the hartke hydrive 4x10, you should be fine.

8. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Ohms. But feel free to enlighten

9. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Thanks for the tip. I know i should pair the head with a 410 neo that's compatible but i got the hydrive for a great price..

10. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    I mean the hydrive 410 with the 1001 eb head

11. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY

12. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    So if i wanted to go for 700 watts. What would i look at wattage and ohm wise from a 410, 15 or 212 210 ect....

13. The Hartke cabinet will work just fine.
    However if you can get a GK cabinet that will allow you to use the 1001RB's biamp feature then that would be even better.

If you want to take advantage off all the power of the head you want a 4 ohm load from either a single 4 ohm cabinet or two 8 ohm cabinets. Two cabinets will typically give you more volume assuming you use two matching cabs with the same number of speakers. Meaning two 2x10 8 ohm cabinets will be louder than one 2x10 4 ohm cabinet.

14. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Apr 8, 2013
    Should be fine.

...oh, and the correct phrase is, "cut the muster".

15. That is actually an "easy" question. Whenever you are running two cabs double the lowest rated power. The 1001RB II will exceed 700 watts easily though so the lowest rated cab should be 400 watt rated. That will allow 800 watts to be shared by the cabs.
    That is the number game. NOW that 400 watt cab will most likely only handle only 200 watts of bass frequencies. So to be safe the lowest rated cab should be 800 watts (divide that in half for your needed safe 400 watts to each cab). That will allow full use of the amp's power and likely get you fired from the venue if you try to "use it all". ;)

16. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Lol. Thanks

17. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Thanks allot.. Very helpful!!!

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    OK

Yes, the 1001RB-II does deliver 460 watts into an 8-ohm load, and 700 watts into a 4-ohm load (I think those ratings are accurate). Those numbers are for the RMS, or continuous power rating, of course - not for peak power, which is typically about double the RMS number. Since the GK RB-series heads tend to be conservatively rated, the actual output - both continuous & peak - will probably be higher than the published ratings.

As for your Hydrive, impedance is completely irrelevant to the cab's power-handling ability, typically expressed as its thermal power rating - which is the amount of power at which the voice coil(s) of the speaker(s) would begin to melt :)eek:). So for a speaker cab, there is no such thing as "1,000 watts at 8 ohms". If your cab will handle 1,000 watts, it will do so at any impedance level at which the amp happens to be operating. The impedance of your cab(s) determines only how much of your amp's available power it can deliver to the speakers, not how much power your cab(s) can actually take.

As B-string explained, in practical application almost no one would run their cabs anywhere close to the full thermal power rating, irrespective of excess volume concerns - because doing so would soon kill the drivers. So the usual rule of thumb is to pump no more power into the cabs than about half their thermal power rating - if that much. In the case of your Hydrive, you'd want to keep it to no more than 500 watts, probably less.

The bottom line is that the speakers will tell you if/when they're being abused - in the form of nasty distortion, farting out, & power compression. Pay attention to them - not just the numbers. Ya just gotta listen... :meh:

MM

19. robertebooker

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Thanks. Wow i absolutely love this forum...