1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001 RB Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghoulsfiendclub, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Hey guys here is the deal,

I screwed up my last cab ( a crappy warwick 411pro ) and i was searching for a new one, im in between Eden Nemesis series and GK but there is a thing that bugs me out ..

my amp at 8ohms it gives about 480w so if i use a cab that only can take about 250w at 8ohms, is there any chance i can ruin the speaker?

cheers

ben

2. In a word yes!

Paul

3. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    thanks for the quick reply paul

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i would recommend a cab that can at least handle about 600 watts RMS. sure, you can always use a cab that is rated for less power than your amp, but if you push it (as many of us sometimes do), you'll be buying or replacing speakers. believe it or not, basses aren't the most gentle thing to use with speakers. :rollno:

in the old days, Leo Fender used to say that it is recommended to have speakers that can handle approx one and a half times the power that the head can deliver.

with my GK 1001RBII, i use an 8 ohm cab with two 16 ohm Eminence beta 12A-2's (250 watts ea wired in parallel), so i'm under the 1 1/2X recommendation, but it works great and haven't had any problems with them.

5. I use a 600w cab (it should be 900w if they rated it correctly) and I won't turn up over a certain point or else risk it all but I consider that a good thing, best to have all that clean power than not much power.

6. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    so whats the best cab you all may recomend to me?

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just buy a cab that can handle 600-700 watts @ 8 ohms and you'll be fine. its hard to recommend a specific cab as i don't know whether you like the sound of 10's, 12's or 15's.

8. The problem with recommendations is that each person who responds will vote for his or her favourites. I would say Acme because I would use nothing else, however what I like might be polar opposite from what you like. It's such a personal choice.

I think you should try every cabinet in every store in your area until you find something YOU like. Just bear in mind the power capabilities of your amplifier. Look for handling at about the output of your amplifier.

Paul

9. Buying a cab is pretty frustrating because there is so many options, I would try out lots of them and then decide, you and the amp will like certain cabs better than others.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you want power handling go with the top of the line GK cabinets over the Nemesis. The Nemesis are okay but won't play as loud without breaking up.

With all that power you could blow pretty well any speaker on the market if you cranked the bass boost to extreme and turned the volume way up. Don't pay much attention to manufacturer's power ratings. In the real world they're meaningless.

11. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    i know it was a trick question about the cab recomendation its like almost asking for what pair of shoes to buy.

ok i got it, 600-700 watts @ 8 ohms , thanks y'all for helpin' me out

peace

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 1001RB head puts out 540w @4 ohms and I believe 380w@8 ohms.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yes the 1001RB has 380 @ 8 ohms, but the 1001RBII is 480 watts@8 ohms and 700watts @ 4 ohms.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Op states he has a 1001RB head and not the 1001RBII. He needs to be more clear on which head he really has as it does make some what of a difference.

15. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    1001 rb II people, sorry i didnt said that at the first place