GK 1001 RB2 or SVT 3-PRO??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NicJimBass, May 5, 2005.

1. GK 1001RB-II

24 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg SVT 3-PRO

8 vote(s)
  1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    Based purely on quality of tone for a hard rock band, which would you prefer? Stage volume isn't really an issue, but I want the best tone possible. I'll be playing thru an Ampeg 8x10, with a StingRay 5, with multiple effects in-between. Just looking for a nice warm, sometimes crunchy sound. I already own a GK 700RB, so I know what I'd be getting from the GK. Just wondering if taking the plunge to Ampeg will be worth it.
  2. I think you will be much better off with the GK 1001RB-II. I tour with two of them and they rock. I think the SVT 3 pro isnt as good sounding.
  3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I personally prefer the GK sound myself, but it's not easy not make a surefire recommendation based on your description of what you're looking for.

I mean, everybody uses the term "warm", but what does warm really sound like? I guess when you've been playing long enough you just know, but it's still a subjective thing that kind of varies from player to player.

"Warm, sometimes crunchy" reminds me more of Ampeg than GK. However, it wouldn't surprise me if it reminded others more of GK.

Hopefully you'll get the chance to test-drive or listen to soundclips of both before making a decision like that.

Good luck.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I've used both, and I prefer the 3Pro.

As always, YMMV.
  5. I played a cover showcase with my band at a private practice studio where the amp was provided. The setup was an Ampeg 8x10 and GK 1001rb-II and it was amazing. It was super loud, tight, and articulate without catching a sterile sound. The bass wasn't super deep but it was deep enough to have no problem with me pounding on a low D. I was really impressed with that setup, so the GK gets my vote.
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm glad someone made this thread, these are the two amps I'm looking at myself, only I use an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF. I'm interested in reading more comments.
  7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wouldn't it be safe to say that the GK and the Ampeg, though they could do each other's sound to a point, that they don't really have a similar description of their trademark sound?

GK usually is known (as far as I know, though I may be wrong) for their clear sound, tight lows, and clear top end grind when you dial that in. Smooth in a clear way with grind in a clear way, is how I would describe my GK experience. Quite nice, actually. GK can get warm, but I think GK's true power is in it's clarity and preciseness.

Then there is the traditional Ampeg sound (again, as far as I know) which is warm, big, and kinda fuzzy (the good fuzzy). Where GK grinds and grits when overdriven, I feel Ampeg warmly overdrives to a smooth grind. Gk has it's precisness, but Ampeg has it's buttery boom.

Eh, it's hard to explain, but I tried. :smug:

Both can do rock, and like I said, both can do kinda what each other can do with enough effort. But I think most anyone who knows both those amps can say they each have their direction and it's just up to you what kind of "rockin" you wanna do.
  8. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    I'll take all that into consideration. At this point, I'm actually thinking about just keeping what I have and getting a passive J5 (Lakland JO5!). I just wanted to see if it was worth paying $899 for a 450w head with a tube pre as opposed to paying $749 for a 700w solid state head. If the difference in tone isn't that big of a deal, I'd be stupid not to go with another GK (my 3rd). Besides a cooling fan issue with my 400RBIII, they've been bulletproof (knock on wood).
  9. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    This is way off topic but the reverse psychology on nic jim bass' signature totally worked on me:rolleyes: . hahahaha:D . Very clever
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My 700RBII is still on-order, but due-in any day now!

I've spent much time playing with one at the store though (way more time since I bought it than before - now I'm really sure I made a good decision!) - Yesterday I even commendeered another customer to play bass while I tried different control combinations. He was getting into it, so I got to play with it for probably 20mins!

I'm very impressed with the distortion on that thing. I haven't heared what the power amp sounds like distorted (and I probably won't dare to try with my 500W 2X15 + horn cab); I can tell you that at any setting of contures, EQs, channel volume and boost control, there's never a 'bad' distortion sound. You can run that thing all the way up to fully-clipped hard-rock-guitar-like distortion, and it's a GOOD sound - never the fuzzy, buzzy, crackly kind that many amps have at some point in their gain - and that includes running a hot active bass into the 'passive' setting, with the preamp gain up all the way! (One of the worst I've heard for that is an SWR SM-500 that I tried-out. Don't even try to get ANY 'natural' distortion out of that - it went from super-clean hi-fi to snap-crackle-ouch with NO transition in-between!)

GK's run clean (boost and gain down, master up) seem very punchy, with clear, up-front treble - but still not what I'd call uhh.. 'glassy' or 'transparent'. With the gain up to where it first starts to grit a little, it starts to growl a little; more and more gain runs VERY smoothly through a spectrum of growls to burp-y, barking, belching, roaring... all the way to an almost 'Wooly Mammoth' sound (see Effects Forum for "Wooly Mammoth") - possibly one of the reasons I think of the W.M. is because it's known for a 'noiseless', 'gated' sort of off-on sound; and this GK has so much signal-to-noise that even when you're running singing solo-distortion, it's surprising how quiet it is between notes.

Well - that's my take on it so far.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Me too, dang-it!

12. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    (best evil laugh I can muster)

My plan worked!!

Joe P, you were saying that the 700RB II distorts pretty well- how loud were you pushing it? I know the 2001RB has a distortion channel, but I don't think that one does, does it?
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm saying that for my tastes, it distrots VERY well! I've been running it pretty quiet in the music store (but not so quiet that I haven't been asked to turn it down a few times).

The 700 only has one channel. The gain - and therefore these 'growl harmonics' - can be set up using the preamp gain, voicing and EQ sections, and the boost control - the output volume to speakers is then seperately adjustable with the lows/main (480W) and horn (50W) master volumes. The preamp gain is before voicing and EQ, and the 'boost gain' is after; this makes it real versitile for tone. While I had that other guy playing a bass, one of the things I was able to work with was turning the gain up at the same time I turned the boost down (so volume stayed the same), and it did noticeably change the tone - so you can get different tones by employing different combinations of preamp gain, EQ gain and boost gain.

Another thing I like is that you can switch-in the the 5KHz lowpass for the main amp - as if you were bi-amping with a tweeter - but then NOT use a tweeter. Now keep in mind that I use a JBL PA speaker (JRX125 - 2X15 + 1" throat horn) as my cab, so I can hit the 5KHz lowpass switch to get more of a cone-like freq response, while still benefitting from the even 90° dispersion that the horn gives me over cones-only!

A switchable 2-channel version of the 700/1001 would be very cool.

Gotta run -

14. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    Very cool.

I went to GC in Columbus this past weekend.... man, they didn't have much at all! I went there looking for either a new amp or a passive 5. The only bass they had anywhere in my budget was a SUB 5, and I think it was active. Any other 5 they had was way too expensive ($1800+). They had a ton of 4's though.... bummer. I take that back, they had several Ibanez basses, but I don't really like them, so, no. I found a used SVT-3 Pro, but it had the bannana jacks, which I don't dig (I'm a Speakon man myself), so I passed. I tried a new SVT3 and wasn't impressed AT ALL! I had to turn it up about 3/4 of the way up to get a volume comparable to turning my 700RB halfway up. And the tone wasn't noticeably better.... so, I got a 1001RB II. I'm very happy. I'm gonna keep my 700 for a backup, just in case. My rack is looking pretty cool now! Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it!