1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001 RBII w/ SVT 810E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper-X, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Thumper-X

Thumper-X

Oct 26, 2006
    Hey guys...long time gone for me.

About a month ago I bought a Ampeg 810E cab...killer.
    I have narrowed my choice down to a GK 1001 or a SVT 3Pro head.

I have been pushing the 8-10 with my GK 400, which is about 18 years old but still crankin, but I need more power.
    I have read alot more about problems with SVT 3Pro head than with the GK-1001.
    I've always loved the sound I've had with my GK but I was thinking that the SVT 3Pro would be better matched.

Does anyone have experience with a GK 1001 RBII w/ SVT 810E ?

Pros/Cons ???? :meh:

Paying thanks forward,
    Thumper-X

2. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    wondering the same thing.

3. Thumper-X

Thumper-X

Oct 26, 2006
    Guess no one has an opinion.

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I dont think the SVT3 would have enough juice to drive the 810 at loud volumes but I could be worng. When I tried one out I was severely disappointed in the amount of volume that amp put out.

Many players use the old GK 800rb to drive an 810 cab which only puts out 300w at 4 ohms. The 1001 puts out more than that but I am not sure exactly how much. GK's are so loud and punchy for their modest power output ratings so I think the GK would be the way to go. Unless you can try out some of the new Ampegs coming out like the SVT6 or 8 Pro.

These amps will sound quite different. Ampeg is kinda the polar opposite from GK tone wise. Try before you buy and have fun shopping!

5. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    These days it has very little to do with "matching" unless you mean aesthetically.

if you like your GK tone then my advice is get the GK. as stated already the ampeg is the complete other end of the spectrum (IMO and that) to the GK stuff.

Have a try, then a buy.

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I DO have experience....when I first got my 1001RB-II, I took it to a friend's house who had the 810E over there. I was AMAZED at how big, loud, beefy & HUGE this combo sounded! The GK kinda cuts through the sludge of your typical Ampeg. I think it's an awesome pairing!

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Awh.................... Shoot the works! Get the 2001RBII.... and be done with it. I am curious about the Carvin 1500 also.

8. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Matching cabs and heads is fo suckaz and people who are sponsored. Go with the GK and the 8x10. As long as you like the sound, that's all that matters.

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've always felt that Ampeg heads arer underpowered. One of the favorite rigs I've had the chance to play has been GK800s and GK2001s through an SVT810. So I'd say the 1001RB would be great with that monster cab. IMO the GKs' bright, fast, growly and sort of sterile sound balances well with the dark, punchy character of the Ampeg.

Good Luck...

10. This is the setup I'm using!

I had been looking at the SVT6 Pro. As far as I can tell it's the same as the 3 Pro but has more power.
    After lots of reading up, I now think I'd only buy an Ampeg head if I was going ALL tube.

Really happy with the pairing of the GK & Ampeg though. Plenty of volume, great sound.

Go for it. All the cool kids are doin' it!!

:)

11. Thumper-X

Thumper-X

Oct 26, 2006
    thanks for all the feed-back.
    i ended up making the road trip and tried both the SVT 3 and GK 1001.
    I bought the GK-1001.
    the SVT 3 pro was nice and warm but the GK seems to have a better response. Of course i didn't have the time to sit and fool with the settings but what little time i did have I was able to get close with the GK.
    I also did a lot of research on postings from talkbass and other forums.

BTW, I found an incredible deal through http://rmcaudio.com, which I found referenced through this forum. they beat basscentral.com on the price by $70 at $600 delivered. :hyper:

I hope to have some sound bites up by endof week.

thanks to all who responded.

Now I gotta tell the wife i bought this!!!
    DOH! :bag:

12. velvetphil

velvetphil Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glad you found what you liked. I personally love the sound of my SVT-3, but to be fair, I'm using an Ampeg 4x10 which probably doesn't need quite so much juice. Plenty loud though, even at 8 ohms. That 810 would be great on stage though; I feel like my 4x10 is shooting its sound at my knees! I'm always finding myself turning up to hear myself on stage, while everyone in the audience is getting the bass full in their chest! Ah well. Good luck with the new rig!

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, my old boss used to say that it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission!

BTW, congrats on a great rig!!!