1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001 RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pointblank72, May 11, 2010.

1. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Hi to all GK owners out there...in particular owners of the GK 1001RB II. I'm curious to know a bit more about the ins and outs of this head.

I've read through the reviews and out of them, the main problem anyone had with it was the plastic inputs and lack of compressor.

I'm curious about how "bright" and "attacking" these amps are (if that makes sense)? I know they're renowned for their bright, punchy tone and was wondering how they go with an active bass for example (I'm playing a warwick thumb).

Also, how loud do these really crank before you start pushing it too far? Is there a lot of headroom in this amp to allow for keeping the clarity as you crank it up to keep up with a loud drummer and guitarist?

I'm playing heavy progressive rock style music so I'm looking for clarity across the whole bass from open Ds (dropped D tuning) to high up on the G string. The biggest problem I've found with previous Amps and tube amps in particular is the lack of clarity as you push the volume up and start trying to play more intricate stuff with effects on where you really need that tonal clarity as opposed to the "tubey wamth" that everyone raves about.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have a GK 1001RBII and it has no problem getting to be as loud and clear as i'd really ever need. not that you should, but you could easily drown out a loud drummer or guitarist with one. of course, having a good cab to go along with it that is able tohandle and ultilize its power is recommended. it has a very flexible eq system and the fact that it doesn't have compressor is actually a good thing, as i don't care for most amp's built in comps, and i haven't found the need to use one with it anyway.

3. That GK amp you have there has a very high current capacity and so remains very articulate even at high volume levels. Just try it. If you want a good demonstration of how articulate these amps can get, look up some of Norm Stockton's music. I believe he uses a 1001rb-II with a GK neo 212. GK amps are well known for being louder at a certain wattage rating than other brands, and there's been a lot of debate as to why this is so...as for how much you should crank it, you should decide that for yourself by listening. A LOT of people say that amp is just too loud before it starts riding the rails and gets that signature GK growl going, but you may like all that headroom after all.

4. {unless you're trying to fill a room the size of an Airplane Hangar...} This Amp has ALOT of power. A VERY efficient rating by GK. I own the GK RB1001, (due to the rec's of alot of TB'ers) paired with an Ampeg 4x10HLF cab {400@4}.

Using my 1973 P Bass, It gives my Fender a "Creamy", "Piano String" tone from this Combo, in a very 'solid state' type of way. I play some decent size halls, & i have this rig usually a little more than halfway on the master, and the pre on 3!.. & then some guy from England calls me up & tells me to turn it down...(& i'm in NY...lol}......but seriously, paired with the right Cab,..it Kills!..{& this is coming from an avid ampeg lover type of guy...but mind you, this head sounds "nothing" like ampeg...and then again,...neither does Ampeg in the last few years either....lol...but anyway,...}

Yes...it takes ALOT to 'push' this head into the 'zone' due to the power & efficiency.

Yes...This head has alot of High End, so If you have "Active p.ups, you will have no problem distorting, if you jack the pre, treb & presence all the way...lol (i don't think you want to...)

are you talking about the Plastic Input screw covers?...no probs yet in that dept...

As stated, this amp is an "all solid state" vibe, so i wouldn't worry about the same probs you have with Tube heads.

{If you're playing Prog Rock, i'm sure this head would sound KILLER with an old Rick....)

5. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Yeah, cheers guys for the info, it was just what I was after. And I'll definitely agree with you about the cabinet having an overall effect on it's final volume and sound, obviously. I'm getting an NV610 by Berg and I'm going to see how the quality of sound/volume etc improves with my SVT 2 Pro. But I'm thinking that if there's no major improvement, I'll be seriously thinking about selling the 2 Pro and returning to the world of solid state via a 1001rb II.

6. I have a friend who has blown three speakers in his GKNEO412 cab with his 1001RBII. He was playing at a high volume with a bass with an 18volt preamp. His solution was to double his gear, two 1001RBs and two neo412s. He did solve his problem, as now each amp is played at a lower volume. That is the only problem I've ever heard, that it can be too powerful. I use mine with a GKNEO212 and have had no problems, and it always comes across loud and clear.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I run My 1001RB II Through 2 SWR Goliath 410 cab and all i can say is WOW!!! As I have said a 1000 times and will keep saying That Head ROCKS....It will make most 1000 watts heads out there Shake for fear with how much power that 700 watt head puts out.... For Me 1001rb II + 810's= PURE BASS BLISS... Played a in a Big Church Concert a lil wail back where they had the P.A Cranked soo Loud that a person could not hear them selfs think on stage.... and I had to unplug my amp from there p.a cause it was too much....I was running that head and about a 1/3 and it was cutting through and was almost to loud...I was Very Very Impressed.. The sound guy could not believe how loud that sucker was and the other bass players were in awe!!!...so to sum up... Best Head other there hands down...End of Store will not be disappointed. Best Of Luck Mate!! Cheers ~ Elliot

8. I use my 1001RBII for my gigging amp and that things DOES have power. Very clear power. Best sounding amp I've ever played through, and I've played through a lot of them over the years. Highly recommend it. :)

9. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the 1001rbII should give you plenty of power no problem. the head really shines through GK cabs with the horn management system. I used both versions of this head for years with no issues ever.

the only reason I got rid of mine was because I found myself favoring the tone of my 800rb.
    but this or the 700rbII would be my first choice for a go to amp for a modern sound, especially 5 string players.

even though I love my 800rb much more for 4 string rock, there are some things I miss about the 1001rbII that I once had.

-my 800rb runs hot when using it at 4ohms for a long time. the 1001rb's fan always kept that head cool.

-the DI input on the front. I love this feature. Soundmen love it too. the 800's in on the back..flashlight time.

-4/5 string switch.. instant BOOM, if you're playing a club that has the subs to take it. push it in no matter if you play 4 or 5 string, I do miss that.

the only drawbacks if any:

I've said it many times, the input pad on the backlines, 700/1001 series is too drastic and the input overdrives and spikes too easy. so with really hot basses, you have to use the pad, and I think it dulls the tone.

it also has a lot of headroom, so you got to be be quite loud to get the same GK growl tone you'd get in a smaller wattage head like the 700rb or 800rb.

10. dgordonhill

dgordonhill

Dec 22, 2006
    Yo

11. dgordonhill

dgordonhill

Dec 22, 2006
    Yo Mr Point Blank:
    kudos to your thread on the gk1001rb I aquired my brute(gk1001rb) on the rebound its a BEAST it can hold its own with crest,ampeg, genz benz, I run everything flat MIJ JAZZ BASS Fender NOISELESS PUPS rotosounds/lowriders just dial in the fat ass warm punchy sound it CAN TAKE ON LOUD DRUMMERS/SUPED UP STRATPLAYERS giging BASS PLAYERS never leave home without it!!!

12. dgordonhill

dgordonhill

Dec 22, 2006
    OH YEAH !!
    I'M RUNNING IT THROUGH A 2X10 TRACE ELLIOT OLD SCHOOL CAB WITH THE PORTS PLUS 1 SVT 1 15 CAB. JUST IN CASE YOU WANTED TO KNOW!! MUCHO FATASS BOTTOM
    WITH THE HIGH IN CUT TO THE MIXX!!

13. I'm running mine through a sealed 810 atm, sounds real good, I actually got a orange bass terror to replace the GK since I'm not in a band now and wanted to get a class D but one minute of playing through the GK put an end to that thought, so I have ended up with 2 amps, but yeah the GK rocks with my 810.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Have no fear, it is an amazing head (especially for the $$). Plenty of headroom, you don't lose clarity when cranking it up, etc. I've had no breakdowns with mine. I use pretty much just active basses (Spector, Sadowsky primarily) with good success. As far as no compressor, I have never found onboard ones to be that great. If you like a compressor, pick the pedal version that best works for you.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i used my 1001RBII at the gig last saturday night (a 60's highschool reunion). it's in a vox head box running thru a custom vox 2x12 cab, with two 3012LF's crossed to a 6.5" mid speaker (ala 12126). it was capable of being as loud as i could ever need (and the band was a 9 piece). everyone always freaks out when they look at the rig and can't believe that it's coming out of a vox 'buckingham' looking amp.

8-7-10gigpic-3.

16. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Perfect amp for you. This amp will do clean all day and all night. I play everything from a 4 string RIC to a 7 string Roscoe tuned to low F# and this amp has never told me to go f ....well you get the idea. It will take whatever you throw at it, and then some, and it will be clean, the amount of headroom this amp has is pretty impressive. I know its rated at only 700 watts, but it stays clean at volumes much louder than amps ive played rated at almost double the wattage. I play in a prog black/death metal band with two guitarists playing 7 strings, keyboards and loud drums. If you want loud, and clean this amp can do it.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I do love your GK/Vox rig. That is hella cool! :cool:

18. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

again....+1000

I'd say, If you're that concerned about a compressor...you should buy a compressor seperately.

TRUST me...I rue the day I got rid of my 1001rb.
    Its on my list of top 100 things I should have never done.

19. JohnnyC

JohnnyC

Aug 17, 2010
    I've been giggin' with the 1001RBII through an Ampeg 6x10HLF for the past 3 years - couldn't be happier.

700W through a 6x10 - I don't think I've been past 6 or 7 under any circumstances - IT'S FREAKIN' LOUD! No worries in that department, your drummer and guitar player will throw you out of the band before you have to worry about your amp not being loud enough.

My head is mounted in a road case along with a compressor and power conditioner. I like that I can use my own compressor and not have to rely on an onboard one so to me, that was a positive, not a negative.

20. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Im playing the exact same setup. Gotta agree, its damn loud, and clean. Though i am thinking of going to a GK cabinet(s) so i can finally use their bi-amping capabilities.