1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB-2 jack problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I have a relatively new (8 months old) Gk 1001, and I've been having all sorts of problems with the input jacks and effects loop jacks.
    The amp is in a rack with EQ, never kept in a wet enviroment or subjected to excess moisture, but the jacks appear to be corroding or something, not sure.
    I kept noticing the sound was dying occasionally while playing, unusual hum noises after powering up, discovered the input jack appeared to be the culprit, cleaned it, problem seemed to go away.
    Now it seems every time I crank the amp up, I have to shut down because of crackling, bad connections, etc..
    Using all new cords, quality ones, still tends to do it.
    I decided to check and clean the jacks on the effects loop, and after disconnecting the cables, was shocked to see the 1/4 male jacks very corroded, even though they are all quality Switchcraft plugs. Checked the other end going into the EQ, and they were shiny and clean..
    I keep the covers on the rack when not in use, and take very good care of my equipment, hoping it will return the favor, but doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm a bit upset about this whole mess, and wonder if anyone else has had these problems. I'm thinking inferior quality jacks is the problem. Never had these problems on ANY other amp I've ever owned..

Thanks..

Mag...

2. I had a similar problem, although it was an amp that had been in use for years. The nuts on the speaker jacks had vibated loose. Tightened 'em up and everything was fine.

Maybe go trough all jacks and do this. See if it helps.

3. dronnba

dronnba

Nov 7, 2002
    Porvoo, Finland
    I have the same problems with my GK RB 700-II. It is also about 8 months old, got it just before x-mas. I have my amp in a rack all the time and the covers on when not used.

At first I thought the problem came from bad cables, scratchy pots on bass, dirty jacks and so on, but switching cables and cleaning pots and jacks didn't help.

Last weekend I had to use my backup amp for a gig, the GK was dying all the time. But, this weeks tuesday we had heavy rain here in Finland and the air was very humid. We were recording live with our blues band (indoors) and I didn't have any problems with my amp, it sounded great! No scratching sound, no loss of volume and I think it was because of the humidity.

I don't know what's causing this problem but my guess would be a bad soldering joint in the pre-amp.

Dronnba

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I sometimes get a static noise from mine when I sustain long notes... do you guys ever get a problem like this?

5. Seriously!!...try tightning the nuts on the jacks before spending any money on it.

6. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Do you have kids, cat, dog, drunken guitar player? Sounds like somehow some kind of wet stuff got into your amp. I would have it looked at before rust gets everywhere. That stuff is like cancer! It WILL ruin your amp! When you get it back, sparingly use a bit of WD40 on your cable ends (great tip from my scottish bretheren)

7. Nope, no kids, cats, dogs, drunken guitar player (besides myself?)... no loose jack nuts.
    Bought the thing brand new in the box, and have never let anything happen to it. Stays in the rack, protected..
    Funny part is that the Behringer EQ was bought at the same time, installed in the same rack, uses the opposite end of the same cables, and doesn't show even the slightest corrosion, dirt, or bad connection problems. The problem is most definately in the GK's jacks..
    I've seen people run out and buy new cables when they only needed to clean a plug or jack. These things happen, but corrosion of this sort is not normal...
    I'll probably open the amp up today and see if there's a way I can really clean the tarnish off the jacks.
    I spent good money on this amp to have a quality amp that is RELIABLE.. oh well.. we'll see.

Mag....

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I just found out why mine was making that static noise.. tarnish on one of the 1/4" speaker output jacks at the back!!!

I'm actually quite happy because now I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with the amp I just need to pop a new jack in it.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hold on there. Before replacing anything take a can of DeoxIT and spay it on a 1/4" connector. Plug and unplug several times. Wipe the plug and repeat the process. This fixes about 99.9 percent of female jack issues. They sometimes get corroded just from lack of use.

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I did just this but it did not help... Can anyone tell me what brand/part number these rear 1/4" female output jacks are? I want to make sure I buy the right ones.

11. dronnba

dronnba

Nov 7, 2002
    Porvoo, Finland
    As we had gigs coming up for last weekend I decided to try and clean all the jacks once again. This time I used a lot of cleaning spray and worked really hard on cleaning the jacks. I only noticed a small amount of tarnish on the plug when I wiped it. I waited for a while, fired up the amp and it sounded better but I could still hear noise:confused: .

Then I opened up the amp and checked all wires and connectors inside. I found that the transformer connector was a little loose on one side, fixed it, and now my amp is working 100 % again :hyper: . I used it on our gigs this weekend and it made the room shake :bassist: .

Dronnba

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    If anyone is considering swapping out the jacks or pots or anything, keep inmind that most things inside are connected to a PC board, and are not just your average run-of-the-mill 1/4" jack or pot. It's not impossible to replace it, but it's definitely something you'd want some experience with before messing with your primary amp.

I had a couple scratchy pots on my 1001RB-II, so I figured I'd clean them. Well, I had to remove the transformer and a heat shield of some sort before I could even think about removing the PC board all the EQ and such is attached to. After that, I had to really be careful and work the contact cleaner's hose into the pots, as the opening is right up against the PCB. It was a chore, but again, not impossible.

13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    DON'T use WD-40! :eek: It's not meant for that and will actually accumulate dust and gunk over time.

As mentioned before, Caig De-Oxit or some other type of contact cleaner.

JR

14. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.

When we switched to a lead-free soldier to meet with new EU standards the company that made our circuit boards for us had some difficulty with the first run. Consequently a bit of flux was left on the boards which erodes the leads over time.

Get it to one of our warranty centers and have them replace the boards in it. You can check our website for a list of service centers or give us a call if you can't find one.

Warranty is two years so make sure you have it done before your warranty expires.

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Just got my 1001rb-mk2 back from the tech... no big deal, one of the rear output jacks was all crackles.. turns out it was just some dry solder joints on the legs of the jack.. now she's all good!

16. Wow, thanks for that info.. just peachy.. I guess sometimes you don't get what you pay for?

Do you know if the warranty is void if one opens up their amp to inspect for such problems?

Mag...

17. If all you did is take the top cover off that's not really a problem as long as you don't try to fix it yourself or modify it in some way.