1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB/210 Combo Bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryco, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Hello -

I have a GK 2x10 combo.

I was wondering if there is any way disconnect the horn and run the 50w amp to the 2 10s in the cab,
    and run the lo amp to a 4 ohm 12 + 18 cab

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    the 50 watts is not enough juice to power the 210's

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Run the amp full range buy a digital crossover and power amp

there's not much point doing even that since both cabinets are more than likely full range. If your going to bi amp you should probably make use of speakers that are purpose built subs and mid/highs

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I have a 60w Sunn tube amp able to power a 2 x 15 cab or a 4 x 12 Marshall cab.
    Are you sure 50w can't power 2 10s?
    I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.
    The extension cab I would like to run is a single cab Sunn SPL-8028 which features an EV 12 and an EV 18.
    It was designed for the Coliseum series head.
    Can be run to an internal passive x-over (700w prog 375w rms 4o) or can run biamp in (mid: 300w prog ,150w 8o; bass: 400w prog 225w rms 8o).

What I would like to do is use the 50w GK hi amp to run the 2 10s in the GK combo, and run the lo amp to the Sunn cab's x-over.
    I was hoping in this way I could tri-amp (2 x 10 hi [1 x 12 mid, 1 x 18 lo]).

There was a post here on TB recently showing a pic of a 1001rb running a Hartke 4 x 10 and two Hartke 1 x 15 cabs.
    Drat! Can't find the post or thread, but it was up a couple of days ago. Can't find it in search. Maybe the post was removed.
    That's what got me to thinkin'...

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The cross over frequency is set way too high to run into a 2x10 - there will be no positive benefits.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    The above poster is right. If you want to make use of the biampable feature then you need a second amp and crossover theres no two ways about it.

Will there even be that much of a difference between using a pre crossed over signal as opposed to sending the cab a full range signal and letting it's internal passive crossovers do their thing? Probably not much.

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    This was my point of buying this amp was hoping not have to lug two amps and two cabs around. And I don't!
    Yer prob right! Just wanted to see if this set-up could be truly tri-amped!
    Either way it's a killer set up! I was just exploring the possibilities.

Thanks guys for all your input! Really appreciate it!

8. Isn't there already a tweeter in the combo?

The internal crossover sends >5kHz to the 50w amp and the tweeter. The rest goes to the bass drivers.

I guess you could do what you want, but you would be driving 2 10s with a 50w amp and only the >5kHz signals would be going there. Maybe it would sound OK...