1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK-1001RB and Mesa 2x12 powerhouse cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corpus_vermiis, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hello there.
    Has anybody run a 4 ohm 2x12 powerhouse with a GK-1001RB amplifier. The amp puts out 700 watts at 4 ohms and the cab is rated for 600 watts. Is this combination safe to run w/ a distortion/fuzz pedal?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's fine, should sound great, just watch that you don't over crank the volume and blow the speakers. Let your ears be your guide.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    +1. Watch the volumes. My Mesa Big Block has pretty grindy distortion 'channel' that I play with that 212 every day...no problems. I roll off the horn a bit, though.

4. Thanks for the reply guys.
    Its a really hard choice deciding on cabinets for this head.
    Its between a 4 ohm PH2x12, PH4x10 and a 4 ohm Eden D410XLT.
    I'm also curious if anybody has experience with the two mesa's?
    I know they have similar tonal characteristics, they both share the same dimensions with the 2x12 being lighter. I'm guessing the 4x10 will be a bit louder.
    It would be great if there was a little bit of sensitivity info on the mesa cabs.
    Does anyone know if the mesa's are as loud as the eden?

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    No experience with mesa 2X12s, but I had GK Neo 2x12s and at 8 ohms the 1001 can put out way more power than the speakers could handle. Also had more midrange and highs than I ever liked. At low volumes it sounded great, but anything past a small club (with a rock band) and the speakers struggled. I prefer the 10s bigtime. Bought myself 6 of them in fact. :)