1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001RB dead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I killed it. Had to replace a broken pot, and some of the contact for one of them came off. This sucks. I either have to use my tube guitar combo's amp section, or use an old crate solid state head. This really sucks. I know I won't be able to have it repiared by this weekend... Ugh.

Has anyone else had to replace their preamp board in one of these? If you have, could you tell me about how much it cost?

2. youngheo

youngheo

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    which version 1001rb do you have?

I have an older version that does not work for some reason.

I contacted GK tech about repair and they said they could upgrade my preamp section to newer version for 200 dollars..

I am planning to do an upgrade..

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's the older one. Mine worked fine until the soldering iron killed it. I have never had it fail on me, even though I have broken knobs off of it a few times.

I'll probably get whatever upgraded preamp they have and see how it goes. I might see if they can send me a shematic as well, so I can see if the old one is repairable.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just curious ... what are you doing when the knobs break off?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it was in the back of my truck, and I had to get something else out of the truck as well, and my foot hit a knob or two.

6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Two words: Flying Tie. If all you did was to cause a foil to come off the preamp board, I would suggest that you just determine where it connected, and bridge the path with a small piece of wire - absolutely no reason whatsoever to replace the board for such a small issue. Oh, and get a smaller soldering iron, so you don't bugger it up any more when you do the repair . . . .

- Tim

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Probably best performed by an electronics tech and go buy a rack for cryin 'out loud!

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is what I plan on doing. I e-mailed GK about the schematic, and Lani told me she could e-mail it to me in a PDF when she has the part number off of it. So I sent that, and I will hook it up as per the schematic. I am also going to order new control pots to fix the broken ones. I should be able to have it up and running again really soon.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    BTW, I found out that the newer preamp boards are a bit under 100 with shipping as of right now.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Okay, I did some further troubleshooting. The part of the circuit board contact that came off was just a solder anchor for the presence pot! It doesn't connect to anything! So, I used some 50K pots I had in my parts bin from a preamp modification I did, and popped them in the right spots until the OEM pots that I ordered come in. Ends up also, the reason it didn't work was that I had a loose connection between the preamp board and the power amplifier.

So, this is a call to all you who own or are thinking about owning a Gallien Krueger amp. They are fantastic. And their customer service is really good. I remember a New Orleans resident here on TB that had their 1001RB head filled with mud after the storm. After it was properly cleaned, and a few pots and a fuse holder was replaced, it WORKED!!! So go buy a GK!

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have also had really nice experience repairing old GK gear. They e-mailed me a schematic of the old 250ML "lunch box" guitar amp. I gotta say, the schematic itself is a work of art. And their stuff is really solidly built.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is just a note to everybody, prompted by your experience. When de-soldering components from a circuit board, it is counterintuitive, but the patient you are trying to save is the circuit board and not the component. I will often sacrifice the component completely, for instance by cutting it off at the legs, so I can heat each pin quickly and pull out with fine tipped tweezers, then suck out the solder after the part is removed.

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Do you know how to tell them apart? I have a 1001RB myself and have heard rumors the old ones had some stability problems.

14. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    there is a big difference between the 1001rb..mk1 and the 1001rb.mk2.if you go on to www.gallian-krueger.com and look at there head....the head's they show are the new mk 2's.the older head's(like what i have)are a baisc black and gray.and yes i have heard about problems that the mk 1's have lot's of problem's....all i know is that i have been playing them for the past 4 years and have not had any problems what so ever...i think it all has to do with how you take care of them...if you knock and bang them around...then yes somthing is going to come lose after time.i donno i take care of my stuff and it never let's me down....well there my $.02 worth.best of luck with your head.GK Rock's!!!!!