Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB Head with Marshall 412 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Mar 6, 2002.

1. I have been looking around for a good bass rig for a little while, with a budget of around $2000. I know I want the Gallien Krueger 1001RB (540w@4 ohms) and I know I want 12 inch speakers for there good low end sound, but GK doesn't make any 12 inch cabs, and I know Marshall is a good brand. And the fact that this cab has 4 12's not just 2, makes me lean toward this one as opposed to others. But this cab is 400w at 4ohms, and the head is 540w @ 4ohms. Does this mean that I would blow out the speakers? And does anyone have any recommendations other than the Marshall 412 if it will not work? Thanks.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You won't blow the speakers unless you crank the amp all the way up.

Is this Marshall 4x12 a bass 4x12 or a guitar 4x12?

Marshall is generally not known for manufacturing good bass cabs.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i would try it out. you just couldnt turn your amp up more than 3/4's of the way.. i think you would be fine. try the cab with the head before you do anything. the marshall, im assuming, is a guitar cab.. and someone is going to say you cant play bass through a guitar cab... depending on the brand, i think you should be fine. im borring a friends 412 guitar cab, and it handles EVERYTHING i put into it, so i wouldnt be turned off by the fact it was a guitar cab. i used to use a 1970's Ampeg v-2 guitar cab, which was rated at like 120 watts or something, and i was putting twice that into it and playing a 5 string and it sounded fine.. so, just try it out and if it works, it works, if it doesnt , try another cab. peavey (www.peavey.com) makes a 412 BASS cab, that might be worth checking out too... oh yeah, doesnt john turner use a guitar cab also?

4. I used to use a 2-12 cab loaded with ev's that sounded sweet. Make sure you are getting a cab that is for bass!! I would not risk the $$ on trying to make a guitar cab sound good for bass. They are not designed the same. and before I got the 4-12 cab I would check out some real good 4-10 cabs. mesa, swr, eden,hartke all make fantastic 4-10 cabs that sound great. You can get very good lows out of them and good highs if you ever do the bi amping in the future..

5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    read my last post man...

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    If your looking for a 4X12 cab I know that SWR will be coming out with one and you also may want to check out the Peavey 4X12. I've heard nothing but good things about the Peavey.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    JT uses an aluminum cone hartke guitar cab, and a Yamaha 18 for lows

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Marshall does make a 4x12 bass cab. I haven't tried it though, and don't know if it's any good or not.

9. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Personally I don't believe in using guitar cabs for bass, in general they weren't designed for lows, and IMHO don't sound that great anyway. Many years ago I blew up a full Marshall stack (two 4x12 cabs) by playing bass not very loud for not very long, and I have stayed away ever since. There are plenty of good 12" bass cabs out there at the moment, 12s are making a comeback.

I have a GK1001RB that I use with a pair of Epifani T-112s and that combination makes as much sound as I ever need. I also have used it with a Peavey 410TXF, ditto.

If you get a 1001, be sure to get one that doesn't make the huge thump/crack noise when you turn it off. Mine did that, and I ignored it until it blew one of my Epifani tweeters. (This was a problem with the heads made in early 2001, and there is a simple fix that authorized service centers can do, but why buy a hassle.)

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I had the popping too, but I took my amp in to GK and they replaced any old parts for new ones.

11. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear, my GK1001RB head got the fix and it works fine. I have a QSC PLX1602 on the way to use with my Epifanis, but I will keep the GK as a backup, it's a good head, very clean and punchy. Getting the QSC is mostly a case of GAS...