1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassike, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Ok so it might sound stupid, but I think I don't know how to use my GK.
    The thing is that I have a LMIII, and I use it all the time cause it is easy to carry around.
    I know on the LMIII you adjust the vol so it doesn't clip, and then the master.
    I've been using my GK for years in my Basement, so today I was checking and I came up with this settings (see picture)
    My question is, after it is all set up, what becomes the vol, the volume know or the woofer? By the way I'll be using an LDS fearfull type and I have a show tomorrow at a banquet hall for about 500 ppl.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382736066.159654.

2. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I've had one for years but I never thought that hard about it. If I like the tone but need volume I usually start with the Woofer knob. I believe you can play with the input volume and boost knobs to adjust the amount of grit the GK adds.

The direct volume boosts or lowers signal going to the board.

Sometimes if I don't want to be louder I can make myself heard by coming up on that low mid.

3. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hi thank u, so there is no right or wrong basically about the settings.
    For what u explained it looks like it is a very different from the LMIII.

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Turn the input volume down to the off position to start. Turn your boost down a bit to about 11 o'clock unless you want to dial in obvious growl (which you probably might not want for a banquet). Turn the knob marked woofer to full (yes. Turn it full on, to maximum, as far as it will go).

Then plug in your bass, and start slowly rolling up the input volume on the amp til it's loud enough for your room. You'll probably get to about 9 o'clock before it's too loud.

This is how you GK. Other people do other things but I've always found the best tones on a 1001 are available with the woofer set to maximum. I used it for two years before I figured this out.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't know if things have changed dramatically on the 1001RB vs. the two 700RB (original version) amps I used to own but I remember that the tone of my basses changed once the input gain was set past noon; it got warmer/darker/less trebly, take your pick. Not by a lot by it was quite noticeable. This, to me, was a good thing as it was another way for me to modify/EQ my sound.

Does the current version of the preamp in these amps do the same?

6. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I have a 1001 RBII.
    I set the woofer knob at 3 o'clock
    I set the boost knob at 9 o'clock
    I have active electronics so I use the db cut
    I set the volume(level) knob wherever I need which generally never exceeds 9 o'clock
    This gives me the cleanest tone.......I play MTDs and Tobias basses.

7. There is no wrong way. Woofer at 3:00 to 5:00 and use the (input) volume gives the cleanest sound. Run your (input) volume higher and use the woofer master for the overall volume will produce more harmonic content (warmer sound) to grindy or growl. LOTS of flavors there to choose from.

Personally I start with the master at 9:00 and turn up the input volume till I hear the flavor I like then use the boost and master for whatever balance of volume and growl I want.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I used a 1001RB-II for a couple years through a true fEARful.
    As B-string wrote: There's no wrong way to set the controls.

I'll add one thing to what's already been said:
    The "grit/dirt" of the Boost control is dependent on the setting of the Volume control. The higher the Volume control is set the more effect you get from the Boost.

Also: Don't ever use the pad button. It's needless unless you're running a very high level signal into the amp.

9. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Ok thanks a lot guys, I was getting nervous cause today I practiced ad home and when I turned up the vol I realized that the speaker was moving way too much so I taught I was doing something wrong then I started to get worried for the show.

10. Just be careful using the "string" switch as it can be a real speaker killer. As Bill said you ONLY need to use the "pad switch" if the clip light comes on a lot while playing.
    The "Volume" is the input volume for the preamp EQ section. The "Woofer (and tweeter) control how hot the signal is to the main power amps (power amp volume).

11. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Woofer = Output gain
    Volume = Input gain up to 12 o clock; distortion circuit past that.
    Boost = Seems to be extra gain for mids. Putting it up high makes things really grind. It works particularly with the input gain.

I generally have volume at 9 - 12, boost at 11 - 1, and then woofer to suit the situation.
    But really, you can go mad with the knobs and never get a bad sound. Just different.

Keep in mind that the DI level is also another separate gain control. It has a switch to be afected by the preamp or not. So you should keep that in mind if ever you use it for live gigging.

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    If the OP's "LDS fearfull type" cabinet is anything close to a fEARful, he should be fine using the "string" switch unless he's pushing a LOT of volume.
    I almost always used the string switch unless the room couldn't handle it.

13. robertebooker

robertebooker Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2013
    upstate NY
    Im just getting to know my gk 1001 rb 11 and this thread was very helpful...

14. Awesome! There is a whole big world of tones/responses in there :)