Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK-1001RB-II + 1210. how does it sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Especialy the 1001RB-II.
    Im looking to get rid of my ABM300 EVOII head in favour of something a little (a lot) louder and GK keeps coming up.
    was thinking of a Mark Bass SA450 but the GK is louder.
    Even better has anyone used the above with a Schroeder 1210?
    Im playing all types of covers but i dont need/want distortion or Tube sound
    Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can't beat the GK for what you need. With any good speaker cabinet it'll do the job. I've used GK with many different cabs, but not the Schroeder, but I hear they're good. Try it out first though to make sure it's right for you.

3. 1210 sounds good with a GK1001rbII. Much better to me than the SWR, Ampeg, and Kustom heads I've pushed it with. GK is very balanced and certainly comes through as being fuller sounding thru the 1210 IME then the others. A lot of the amps I play thru the 1210 have enough punch to knock me over sometimes and that's awesome. Sounds great with a band. Maybe I'm partial since i've spent the most amount of time with the GK vs the others, but the GK seems to have this attribute as well but can alse be able to tame the sound and fill out everything. The boost feature for the added growl is devastating and works well if you play with soft hands, and then digging in is just a slap to the face. GK growl is great through a schroeder, i'll say that. Crank the GK to more power and it's like standing in front of a jet engine as others have said. Works well in a gig and can hear myself well as well as be able to get a punch, to warmerish/fullish type sound from the same cab/head combo. Amazing head. Great cab.

I've used mine on gigs and was originally thinking of selling it because it isn't exactly as 'full' sounding as I'd like a cab to be. Its mids aren't as pretty on a 1210 vs others i've tried, but I decided to keep it just due to its portability and loudness factor in a pinch. i still use the schroeder as my backup today and in cases where we may have more than 1 bass player at a time i'll bring both my main cab and the schroeder.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I have always thought of GK as a 80's sound as thats the last time i used one, just as they came out over here in the UK. im going to have a look at one today but i cant try it with my cab as i dont have transport but as long as its louder than my ABM (and it has to be at over double the output) i may get one. Played to 500 people last night with PA support and the ABM held up ok on stage but im starting to push it past 12o'clock at most gigs now and i want to avoid running it past 3 o'clock as it might start clipping so just need a bit more headroom rather than 700watts but i do like the look of the GK's and im hopping the 1001RB-II is lighter than my ABM