1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK.1001rb II. -14db pad troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Oct 3, 2009.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I Just Bought This Head new just a couple days ago...and the problem I am having is ever time i switch the -14dbpad button from on to off...I get one Hell of a "POP" through the speakers...I wondering if it is cause from may be a lil bit of dust in the button that is causing it kinda like a scratchy pot...I dont really know... Not a big deal if i turn the master off..But yeah sure makes my speakers Jump almost like amp clip...Hope some one can help me out there dont feel like taking it in to the shop live about 2 hours away!!..and just dont have the time for it..
    Thankx Guys for what ever advise you can give me!!!

2. Slowmo

Slowmo

Aug 27, 2009
    I have the same amp and I don't have the same problem. I would get yours serviced.

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    yeah i just got this one new cause the other one i had gotten 2 weeks ago had smoke come from the head and now the new one is doing this...lol...getting worried...lol hope it is nothing to bad!!!

4. Hmmmm.....I've had both the 700rbII and the 1001rbII and never encountered this issue, my 1001rbII did **** the bed for different reasons tho. Much happier with my 800rb. I'd have that looked at if I were you.

5. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Try the head with a different cab, cable, etc. I doubt it is the head itself.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I don't know - it sure sounds like an amp problem to me...

To the OP - are you hitting the pad switch while sending a signal through the amp??? FWIW, I have a 700rb-II, and it doesn't do that at all...

- georgestrings

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    No It is not the cab i know that for sure it is just in the switch it self.....it's is not a big deal cause i leave it on all the time my basses pickups are too hot not to use it...and if i do switch it off i just turn the master volume down and it dont do it then.... Now I use to have an older 1001rb not the mkII...and when it would power off it would make the speekers jump really bad like my switch is doing....but the new one dont do that it is really quite when i turn it off...lol so i guess i just traded one for the other...but yeah thankx for all your thoughts if you have anymore feel free to post!!:)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could just need cleaning.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    well i hope that is all it is...cause man it sucks cause i just bought it brand new...but yeah i guess it could of gotten some dust and stuf in it and just needs a lil dielectric grease or something like that...hope that is all it is!!