1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB-II/210 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanNowhere, Nov 11, 2006.

1. http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_co_101-210.html

Purty, ain't it? Who has any input on these bad boys? Looks like the 1001RB head paired with a Neo 210 cabinet, so what could go wrong? Also appears to have an output for one more extension cab too.

I've never owned or played through any GK stuff, other than in the bass room at GC, so just soliciting some opinions.

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have played the original 1001RB 2 10 combo for years with no issues whatsoever. It's a killer rig that I have used anywhere from small private parties of 25 or so to large outdoor festivals in front of 3,000 people +. Great response all the way down to the low B, thanks to the voicing filters. The GIVE technology really yields grind when I need it.

GK will never get the same respect as some of the bling/boutique stuff that gets worshiped around here, but so what? It sounds great and is indestructible. It is a great rig for the working pro.

3. That would be awesome for small gigs, and if you added a Neo212 to it, it would crush skulls.
    C7

4. Nice amp...I have a GK2001RB with a NEO412.

Now that crushes some ****ing skulls....and then some...:bassist:

5. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I have one. It's actually a 210 RBH cab, but there is a 212 Neo version. I also have an 8 ohm 115 RBH, 210 + 115 at 4ohms = 700w with the 1001RB II, for me it's good for 95% of my likely needs.

Sweet growl and low end to IMO.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +2

I have some expensive stuff and the 1001RB head is at the top of my GAS list.

JR

8. +3. Seriously, I have owned them all....Mesa, Ampeg, SWR, etc...If you want clean low end that kicks you in the teeth than nothing stands up to a GK period. I used to own the MEsa 400+ and I thought it had that "tube"punch. YeaH right....I don't know ho w Bob Gallien did it but seriously the GK2001 RB is the sickest, loudest, punchiest amp I have ever played. No tubes and it is silent....

I just blew up an entire Ampeg 6x10 SVT cab (which claims 1200 watts at 4 ohms). Ampeg is replacing my cab and my GK412 is in the mail. So much for "botique" cabs that can't even handle the low end frequencies of the GK....

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Yes, its NOT a neo cabinet.

But yoy can get the Neo 112 and 212 in combo form if you want.

Fantastic amps in whatever form you get them.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've owned a couple GK amps in the lat 15 years and used many others as part of a supplied backline. They are my favourite. Reliable, great sound and plenty of reserve power in the higher power models. Even the smaller ones seem to have more juice than many of the competitors.

The 1001 is a real winner.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    10" drivers are no match for deep and punchy bass frequencies :smug:

12. Yeah I bet it does! I have a 1001RB which I use with a 410SBX and a NEO212. My problem is that at gigs I always get told by the sound guy to turn it down. Most gigs I play recently, I seem to have the Woofer control set to 8 o'clock, i.e. 1 out of 10. :eyebrow: :rollno: Mind you, I do have the boost set to 2 o'clock. Still, I end up turning the woofer control up to 9 o'clock. I'm pretty happy at that level.

Anyway, yeah I know how skull-dentingly loud my rig will go, so goodness only knows what a 2001RB and a NEO412 will be like! :bag:

13. Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the trigger on this and should be seeing this in about a week or so.:hyper:

14. Ah cool. Well let us all know what you think of your new setup when you get it through, okay? :)

15. I can't wait to tell you about it. Still waiting for word from the shop I ordered from online. It was out of stock, so they had to order one in from GK. Then we have our Thanksgiving holiday this Thursday, so even if the shop gets it in the next day or so, I still probably won't see it for another week. Ah well, I'm a patient man.

16. And it's here. Took it up to practice today. What a world of difference. I think I'll find this a worthwhile investment once the band gets going. Now I just have to find the right settings.

Any suggestions? I'm playing rock, and main axes are my Rick 4003 and Fender AmStd. Jazz.

17. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Depending on the song needs. I useually keep all my amps flat with a boost in the high mids. I just like the sound I guess. And it usually gives me all the brightness I need and with a stingray I can easily work aound the tone with the knobs on the bass.

18. I'm in the market for a portable combo and this (GK 1001RB-II/210) looks promising ESPECIALLY if you've had positive experiences with the low B. This is my biggest concern between 2x10s or 2x12s and my 5 string. (I'll probablyl add on a 15 later if necc, but if I can get away with it, without the extra weight...).

Any one else have experience with this GK and a 5 string?

19. small gigs???

20. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Well I couldnt get by with just a 210 combo.

Mind you, I bet a GK powered by a 1001 isnt JUST a 210 combo. :D