1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001RB-II and GK 2001RB heads, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 7, 2006.

1. First off, I love Ampeg. Always have, but I am looking at other options in my price range ($700-$1500). I could either go with the GK 1001RB-II or the SVT-3 Pro in the lower bracket of my price range, or I could go with the GK 2001RB or the SVT-4 Pro in the higher end of my price range.

I need some serious opinions on these amps. As for the difference between the fact that GK is solid state and the SVTs are tube hybrids, I was planning on purchasing the Tech 21 Sansamp Rackmount to compensate for the GK solid state.

I've looked into SWR and Eden. I am not impressed with SWR, and Eden is a little unknown to me as far as its sound is concerned.

Thanks!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    GK is great. You can't go wrong. I'd get a Sansamp BDDI, instead of the rackmount. But, with the fatastic EQ of the GK, you may not need it at all. I have a GK that I play with a sansamp, and I have been using it a lot less.

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm a GK fan. I've had an MB150S for a few years and I just picked up a 1001RB-II from another TB'er. I also have a Sans Amp BDDI but I rarely use it through the amp. I mostly use it for recording though I have played through the combo with it on occassion. Still sounds great without it though.

Do a little searching and you'll find a lot of threads on the 1001, generally very positive. I don't remember seeing threads about the 2001 very often.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used a 1001 GK and owned the GK 2000 (the 2001 forerunner)

Both are great amps. The 2001 has immense power reserves but is more than I need and much heavier than the 1001.

I prefer them over the Ampeg. I've never felt the need for an outboard effect to warm up a GK. I use an old SansAmp as a direct box live sometimes. Sound guys seem to like it, but the GK direct out is good too.

I also used a GK 400 RB very hard for many years live. Another great amp. I've never had problems with GK and always loved the sound. GKs always seem to be more powerful in real world use than their published ratings would suggest.

5. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I just bought a Genz Benz GBE750 and I can tell you that I was able to get an Ampeg, GK, and SWR type sounds from my SWR 8x10 Megoliath cab. This head is so versital and powerfull that I can't imagine that I cound not get any tone imagineable. It can also pump out power at 2 Ohms. If you need more power, then go for the GBE1200. It's exactlly the same amp except it's more powerful and it's bigger other wise all the tone shaping is the same. Check out either one if you can.

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I really like my GK 400 RB-III ... they do seem to have more power and headroom than what the specs say ... I put the GK series of amps in the "Swiss Army Knife" catagory of amps capable of doing almost any task and do it well, and being reasonable in price.

That said ... since you say your an Ampeg fan (so am I) and looking for under 1000.00 ... IMHO these things are THE best I have ever used.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=abm500&cat=2394&cat2=3717

7. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm the newest member of the GK clan...I purchased a 1001RB II from Sounds-of -Ocean, and I couldn't be any happier. The low mid and upper mid controls really help with my passive basses; a very versatile amp. This thing sounds huge thru my Acme B-2 cab! I also own a BDDI and I tried it thru the GK; sounds better without it. If you favor the sound of your BDDI, I'd suggest getting a power amp.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've heard a lot of good things concerning the new GK amps. Most say that they prefer the GK1001RB II over the original series. I haven't owned a GK in several years. I switched to amps with tube pre's about 15 years ago and have only recently gotten back interested with the SS sound. Most of that was driven by the Thunderfunk amps. I'd certainly highly recommend the TFB-420 or 550 (B). Sound wise they are somewhere between the tube amps and typical SS amps. They sound very warm and are very plug and play.

I'm currently looking to get a used Thunderfunk or a new GK1001RB II myself. Cost for a used TF is about the same as the GK 1001RB II new.
    You asked about the Eden sound and I can definitely highly recommend them. I recently bought a WT-550 and it's one of the nicest sounding heads I've played through in a while. Very warm and phat sounding. You definitely hear the tube pre in the sound. I love the sound of the Eden highs. Very sweet & transparent. Not harsh at all (of course, the Berg and Accugroove cabinets I'm playing through probably help that some).:)
    The headroom of the WT-550 is really nice too (300@8 ohms, 550@4 ohms, 720@2 ohms). Pure clean power and it can be run safely at 2 ohms. If you have two 4 ohm cabinets that's a MUST!
    I'd definitely throw the Eden WT-550 or 800 and Thunderfunk amps into the mix while making your decision.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This is a hard one. If *I* were buying a GK, I would certainly get the 1001RB-II - plenty of power for anything you could throw at it, and a fantastic amp. Plus - the footprint and weight are fantastic if you hate hauling huge stuff around. The SVT-3 PRO sounds like an Ampeg (duh) - it's a little darker and warmer than the GK. For all around versatility I'd go with the GK. The 1001RB-II's are harder to find used, though.