1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB-II Help needed - hiss and buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T.O.Bass, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

After two months of waiting for a backordered 115, I finally got my new GK setup: 1001RB-II, 115RBH and 410RBH.

I plug it all in at the store and it seems to work fine. The store is noisy though, so maybe I didn't notice the issue there. I take it home and set it up and immediately I notice:

a) a steady, smooth hiss coming from the tweeters
    b) more of a buzzy noise that sounds like a grounding issue.

The tweeter hiss I couldn't get to go away. The grounding buzz came and went depending on where I was standing in relation to the amp, and depending on the bass, if I touched the strings or not. Changing from the string-buzz bass, I switch to a different one, and now the buzz is there but touching the strings doesn't help, only touching the amphead makes a slight difference.

Of course, the store is closed today so I can't call and ask them about it. What do you think? How much noise is common from this setup? Both the tweeter hiss AND the grounding buzz are driving me nuts.

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i find that the tweeter hiss is kind of a fact of life. if you press the tweeter hi-cut switch, it helps reduce it (but the woofer hi-cut seems to generate more noise).

but the grounding issue sounds unusual to me, i would take it in.

3. here is something to try or questions to ask

Do you ONLY have the amp plugged in? (ie:pedals and or pedal board?) or any rackmount stuff?

Do you use a power conditioner? It is good to have one and plug everything you need power for and plug into that. Then plug power conditioner straight into wall (no power strips or extension cords)

If you only have the head/2 cabs/instrument cord and your bass and no power strip or extension cord try plugging into different outlet.

If you still have the hiss try using shorter speaker cables (if yours are over 4') and or a different instrument cable.

If you still have the problem take it back to store....but be sure to take YOUR gear/speakers/cords and bass, that way you can eliminate some aspects.

Hope this helps

4. Yes, it was bass-cable-amp, no pedals. No rackmount stuff. I don't have a power conditioner. What purpose do they serve?

I'm going to try some different outlets now. Good thing this stack has wheels.

5. power conditioners pretty much is self explanatory.....with me on live gigs it help eliminate "house" noise and plugging into multiple outlets which can bring on noise and hiss...it also provides a steady output of "current or wattage" (something along those lines)

also you can get hiss if your gain/treble/mids are turned up too high!

did you try a different cable? how long are your speaker cables. Your positive they are speaker cables?....they have distinct 2 different wires within the cable?

6. I moved to a different outlet and now the only time I get grounding buzz is from my Fender custom j. ***. I assume that grounding is a bass is not difficult to fix?

I had the input jack repaired recently, that may have something to do with it.

7. Yes that could def be part of the problem!.....Where did you get your GK? L and MQu or Steves?

8. L+M. I get most of my stuff from them.

Is there anywhere in toronto I could take my fender to get the grounding issue fixed today? I cant stand this closed on sunday nonsense.

9. I would imagine there are some places....I am from Hamilton area and dont know any off hand.

10. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Im guessing you have single coil pickups in your bass. I have this problem too, the bass picks up the electrical noise from the amp, the same thing happens if I play near a tv. The solution? Stand farther away, then you can't hear any of the noise. I find the GK to be a great amp but pretty noisy if your not carefull.

11. Wow thanks, I never thought of that!

I dont know much about he pickups other than they are Fender Cobalt Noiseless j pups. Single coil? I have no idea. I'm not much of a gearhead.

12. If you still are uncertain - take the Amp Back and have them check it out - if your think something might be wrong let them deal with it or replace it.

13. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I bought my 700rbII new, and after about a month, it started hissing pretty bad. I had to take it in for warranty work. It was a bad pre-amp circuit causing the hiss. GK paid for it. Make sure it is not a cable, bass, or speaker problem first. I would even try it in another location to make sure it is not a grounding problem in your home.