1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB-II impedance and sound question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axxis, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Axxis

Axxis

Mar 8, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello.
    I recently bought a Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II head and two Gallien Krueger 212. Both of the cabs are 8ohm, so I need to be running a 4ohm impedance. Is there a physical switch on the head, that I need to push, or is it all automatic?

I remember from my Orange Terror Bass, that it had a switch on the back for 4 and 8ohms.

Second question is about the sound. I always run my Fender JB on full tone and volume (all switches on max), because I love the sound I get. In this GK amp and cab, I get a "fart" noise when playing loud. I only played on one 212 with the 1001, as I will get the other one today.

When I turn down the output volume on the Jazz Bass, I get a better sound. It's such a hard time dial the right tone on this amp. Can some of you please tell me how you dial in the tone. I have read many forums and found a starting point, but I want to get rid of the farting noise without turning down on my JB

At last I have to say that I am really satisfied with this amp and cab, as it's lightweight and super powerful.

Please answer me ASAP, as I don't want to ruin my cabs because of the impedance.

- Axel
    Norway

2. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    First, the 1001rbII will kill the 212. I owned the 1001rbII for about a week, and realized it was just too much..... especially for that cab. But with 2x212 you should be okay.

About the tone......
    Make sure the vol knob stays below noon. Preferrably below 11:00. The vol knob is not input gain, but it is preamp gain. Control clipping at the input with the pad, or the volume control on your bass (or output gain of any effects). Start with your eq knobs at noon. Utilize the filters for your eq needs at first. Adjust the eq from there.

Proper gain staging with the gk rb heads is a must for good tone. With the 700rbII, I start with the master at noon, boost at 3:00, and the tweeter to taste (usually 9 or 10). As I need more volume, I come up on the preamp gain (vol knob) until I'm at 11:00. If more volume is needed, then I'll come up on the master, and back down on the boost.

There is no switch for the load you're running. Just make sure you don't go any lower than 4 ohms.

3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    No switch for 8 or 4 ohm operation.

Try the input pad to see if it tames your JB, you may be overloading the input. I rarely go above 9 o'clock on the Volume, Boost at noon, Woofer (I'm running full range) for final volume adjustment.

The 1001 may overpower one 212, especially with bass boosted a lot, running both could solve your fart problems.

Nice setup, have fun!
    =wr=

4. Axxis

Axxis

Mar 8, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks guys. Can't wait to try out double cabs!

I'll try it all tonight, and I am sure your tips will help!