Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB II Users What cabs are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Nov 21, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey GK users,

I have decided on a GK 1001RB II head. What cabs are you 1001RB II users using, and what kind of tones are coming through your cabs?

I have an Ampeg SVT 410-HLF cab, which I think will add a little warmth to the head, but I am open to suggestions of other cabs.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Can I post as well? I have a 1001RB head, the 540 watt model, and I use a hartke 410xl, and an ampeg 4x8 classic series. It is a monstrous soinding stack. You would think it would kick nothing but mids, but I actually turned the bass down to almost flat. It is definitely a punchy setup, but it can also get warm if I kick in the Sansamp BDDI. Definitely a good amp, and I would highly reccomend it.

3. George Porter Jr. uses GK 800RB heads with ampeg 810s. I know there are some other bassists which use that setup too. If you can find some live stuff with George Porter Jr. you can get a good impression of at least one of the tones that setup would have to offer.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've found that GK cabs definetely work best with GK heads. But if you want more warmth, something like Ampeg or Aguilar may work best, but it depends on your taste. I'm currently using a Hartke 410XL temporarily, until I can get my SWR Goliath Sr. The SWR has a good punch and the highs that I like. Similar voicing to GK, yet slightly less metallic sounding, and I prefer 6x10 cabinets. If GK came out with a 6x10, I'd be the first to buy it.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about my GK rig. Just how warm does the SABDDI make it? Ampeg warm?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Or more. Try one, it will warm anything up. But if the GK doesn't work for you, you can donate it to me. :D

7. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i have the 1001rb-II head and am using a avatar 410neo. i love it. probably going to get a 210neo to put with it (for portability).

8. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is some stack. I have a Sansamp BDDI as well, which would prbably add a little more warmth if I need it.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I love The Meters. George Porter Jr.'s tone is awesome.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All GK rig here, 1001RB 2x10 combo with a RBH 1x15 under it :bassist:

11. I have a 1001RB-II with a GK Neo 2x12 under it. I love it.

12. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    the 1001RB-II + RBH410 +RBH115 is a very popular cab setup for the 1001RB-II. The 115's sensitivity makes up for the 8ohm impedance and it's 400w handling capabilities. And you should be moving quite a bit of air. Or you could just get the RBH 410. That can handle 800w which is 100w over what the 1001RB can give.

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
  14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a 1001RB II (700 watt version) I'm using with an Aguilar 212 (4 ohm)

15. I have a 1001 that has been upgraded with the preamp section of a Mark II. It still has the same power as the first series (540 watts). I use two Aguilar GS112s in one band and a Genz Benz 610 XB2 in another. Both of these work extremely well for me, but I do prefer the Genz.

16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I use the Berg 112 HT/EX combination. Small, clean, and punchy as hell!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SET UP

17. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Ampeg Portabass 2x10. It's very warm. I don't even use me Sansamp DI. It sits in a box. Maybe I should sell it.
    It's probably warm because of the sealed cab.

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Peavey Cirrus --> GK 1001RB-II --> Schroeder 1210 = :cool: :D :bassist:

[​IMG]

19. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is a nice looking setup.

How does your Cirrus sound through the GK? I have a Cirrus (Maple/Alder).

20. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    In general, the Redwood/Alder Cirrus is a bit warmer sounding than the Maple/Alder one. At this past weekend's retreat (which was the first time I really had to try out the rig) I noticed that I was able to get anything from a more vintage style tone to a very percussive punchy tone by varying my fingerstyle technique. The slap tone was incredible... sounding slightly (but not too) compressed, yet very well defined. I used both pickups and kept the EQ on the bass flat. Though I started with the EQ flat on the GK on Friday night, on Saturday I had boosted the bass a bit (around 2 o'clock) along with the contour which I liked best somewhere between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the presence around 12 o'clock. Both the GK and the Schroeder BEG to be played loud and I had to fight myself to keep from overpowering the rest of the band. I had brought along my Behringer BX3000T as a backup and switched to it at one point during a practice set on Saturday only to find myself missing that GK "punch", so I switched back after only one song. The Behringer is pretty punchy in it's own right (though not as much as the GK), but it's EQ apparently has a much broader range than the GK (as does it's shape, deep and bright controls & switches), however when playing at performance levels it seemed more of a hinderance than a benefit.

Besides the tone, the other great thing about this setup (at least in my opinion) is that it's so light, compact and easy to transport. I'm able to fit both the 1210 and the GK (which is nestled comfortably in a GK padded case) in the main compartment of a SKB Rolling Speaker Bag and all of the other essentials (speaker and instrument cables, extension cord, stand, etc.) in the outer compartment, leaving me with only two items (my bass and the SKB bag) to transport. The wheels and extending handle on the bag make it easy to roll and it has handles on each side which made lifting it up to get it up and down the stairs fairly easy.

- Frank.