GK 1001rb II vs. Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSmith, Dec 21, 2003.

1. I'm going to get a new head and use my current GK 800rb as a back-up. I'm looking at the GK 1001rbll (700 watts) and the Ampeg SVT 3 Pro (450 Watts). I play a Stingray 5 and a MIA Jazz thru Ampeg BXT 410 HL4 and 115 Cabs. Music style is mostly Hard Rock but I sub playing blues, country and classic rock, disco and top 40.

I'd like to buy new and stay under $800. I'm looking for any feed back, suggestions, or experiences.
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Definitely get the GK. $649 new from Rik's Music.
  3. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am not familiar with the Ampeg, but I do have the GK, bought it from Rik's music, it's a great amp. The tone is "rounder" than my GK700RB and my previous 1001, and I like it better. Plenty of power. Much quieter (less hiss). I use mine as a backup for a small rack system (Focusrite preamp plus Stewart World 1.2) and the GK really doesn't give up that much in either power or tone to the rack. The one downside I have found is a sensitivity to the light dimmer system at one place I play. The amp buzzes physically, not through the speakers, which is noticeable in a dead quiet room. Doesn't affect the sound, though.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would say the Ampeg, it's VERY loud when you turn up the 10 DB BOOST.
  5. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I was seriously considering an SVT 3-Pro to replace my GK 700rb. The GK was much louder and with more tone shaping abilities. The general consensus I have heard about the 3-Pro is it isn't a very loud head. I had to set the volume at 4 o'clock to get a healthy gig-ready sound out of it while it was hooked up to a variety of Ampeg cabs.
  6. Yeah I'm leaning towards the GK because I've read about volume concerns with the SVT 3 pro. A SVT 4 pro would probably work nicely but it's about twice as much money as the GK. I've never owened a tube amp so I'm a little leary of the replacment costs. My 800rb did a nose dive off my 4x10 after a show one night about a year ago and it wasn't any worse for the wear. Not to change the subject, but barring any rough treatment how often do tubes need replaced and how much do they run?
  7. The SVT 3PRO is NOT a tube amp. It is a solid state power amp with a tube preamp section. The preamp tubes that it uses should last far longer than the rest of the amp.
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, i can guarentee you that an SVT-3 Pro can keep up with a 1001 RB II. All you have to do is turn up the LAST EQ SLIDER and bam- + 10 DB. Not alot of people do this, and they bitch about how "Soft" it is. Sure, it's soft as hell without the slider up, but i'm running at 4 ohms, with 2 cabs in the 98-101 DB range, with a compressor, and my gain is on 11 oclock, and my master is at 9:30, and this gets the pants flappin easily.
  9. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the 1001RB II and I did tons of A B ing prior to buying.

I am very happy. I have it running through an Avatar 210 and an Avatar 212.

Good Luck!
  10. I'm aware that the SVT 3 Pro is not a tube amp. I was feeling out The SVT 4 pro which is a tube amp. I've found GK to be utterly relaible so the expense and possible surprise of tube replacements remain a concern when considering a 4 pro. Oh yeah, and the fact that it will probably cost twice as much as the GK 1001rb II.
  11. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The 4 pro also isn't a tube amp. It just has a tube pre-amp and a 1600 watt ss amp.

The SVT-2 is the all tube amp and it weighs 80 lbs. It puts out 300 watts of tube power (which for some reason seem a lot louder than a 300 watts of ss power - someone care to explain?).

This new hybrid type amp is the really popular thing nowadays. Most all tube heads are considered classics or else the minority of cutting technology items.

The fact is old tube heads weigh too much. It's not worth it when you can get a tube pre-amp (which accounts for your tone) and amplify it through solid state circuitry.
  12. I'm gonna go with the GK. My 800rb is great so I'm gonna stay with GK. I was at Guitar Center today and I tried the SVT 3 Pro and the 4 Pro and I left underwelmed. The 3 Pro wasn't that loud at all and with the 4 pro I dialed in that "fart" tone right away and I couldn't seem to shake it.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
  13. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Good choice ......the 3pro is a p.o.s.
  14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, maybe mine is special or something?? Mine is LOUD. Like VERY LOUD. And my cabs sensitivity isn't very high.
  15. Perhaps your definition of loud is a little different. ;)