Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB-II vs. Ampeg SVT III Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I am looking at both and yes (whatever sounds better to me I should buy), but the thing is, I haven't seen a GK 1001 RB-II to test and the music store is much different than the band situation.

I currently have an Eden 2X10XLT and Eden 1X18XL, but may go to an Ampeg SVT4X10HLF.

Just wondering if anyone out there has compared these 2 amps?

Thanks!

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just from alot of the local scene and a lil jamming on SVTs

Im just a bigger solid state fan...and i love my GK 1001, i think its just alot clearer sounding then the Ampegs, which just sound a bit muddy to me.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Thanks!

I currently have a B2R....but the heat sensor needs to be replaced so the fan will come on. It overheats now. I'm looking to upgrade and keep the B2R for a backup once it is fixed.

I may have to just order a GK 1001RB-II to try it. I am a fan of the Ampeg tone though...

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    there diffrent tones.

the way many people describe GK is "clean and sterile"

i dunno about the sterile part, but its deffintly very very clean, not even mistakable for a tube amp sound : )

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've owned an SVT III pro, and I just bought a 1001RB-II. I haven't been able to compare the two side-by-side, but I was very disappointed with the Ampeg, both in terms of volume and tone. Plus, my brother's GK 800RB smoked the Ampeg through my old Ampeg cabinet, even though the GK is rated as having less power.

Whatever you do opt for, buy from someplace with a return policy, so if either/both doesn't jive with your setup, you can exchange it. I think for price, weight, power and (IMO) tone, the GK can't be beat.

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Cool man-thanks. I guess that's what I'm going to do. I'll try the GK first since I know (and like) the Ampeg tone. The GK wins on paper, but we all know that the band situation is the real judge.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've seen both amps in live situations. I've heard the 3 pro with an Ampeg 810E and again with a pair of 410hlf cabs. Both sounded ok, however I preferred the sound of the bassist that used the 810E. Then again... he was playing a Warwick Thumb Neck-Thru vs. an Ibanez SBHFASGX93245923849324(I HATE HOW THEY NAME THEIR INSTRUMENTS :scowl: ).

The GK was actually used with an Ampeg 810E when I saw a band at a mid-sized venue.... and I have to say I was impressed, and I am surprised that I dont see their amps on the shelves at good ol' Gee-Tar Center. Must be an endorsement deal with Ampeg, huh? But either way... it was a close call as far as tone goes, because I thought the 3 Pro kicked some ass that night. That bassist was brilliant... even did a good amount of tapping... and it was clear as day.

~Evan

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I totally dig the Ampeg tone and want to buy a MIA head. The GK has a bit more power (on paper) and is lighter-plus I like the fact that I can use a bag with it unlike the Ampeg which I have to rack mount.

I'm going to order the GK-at least I can compare it to my Ampeg B2R right away.

I just wish GK would cool the 1001RB-II the same way the 800RB is cooled-it seems like the fans always go in these new heads.

Thanks for the opinions!

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Lync -- if your concern is with fan noise, the fan in the 1001RB-II is variable speed, so at low volume playing (when you're most likely to hear it) it doesn't even go on. It kicks in as you step up the volume and it draws more voltage and gets hotter.

I've been jamming in my apartment through my B-1, which is very inefficient, and the fan has yet to go on. The head has been dead-quiet for me so far.

-Aram

10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Aram,

I'm not concerned about fan noise...more about fan failure. I'll be running the amp at 4ohms, and I've had a fan fail before (B2R) and go into thermal shutdown. Less parts=less to break IMO.

Then again, I've had amps (Bassman 400) where the fan has never been a problem.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Ah -- good point, I never thought of that. Well I guess time will tell if that proves to be a problem. I know there's a protect circuit, but I don't know if that disables the amp and requires a factory-restart. Maybe Daniel Elliot can clarify that.

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Had both.

Tone wise - your call. The ampeg does have a tube type sound to it. I think my GK (the 1001rb -II is what I use solely now) is very clean and aggressive, and brings out the punch in the high end basses I use. I do beleive there are some good tones in the Ampeg, but it wasn't me.

Volume - Hello AMpeg Watts? Where the hell are you? My GK 1001 RB -II will smack the paint off of your moms car. What the hell does that mean? Not sure, but it is so freakin loud. I use an EA VL210 and an Aguilar GS112, and it can get deafening. No problems with a really loud drummer and a Mesa stack. The ampeg could not come close.

Others - I never had reliability issues with either.

I am a GK man now, and I have been through a bunch. That head is stupid beefy......

PS - GK watts and Ampeg watts are not even in the same pall park. My older gk700rb is much louder than the SVT-3 pro. Another kick ass head, most likely the 700rb-II would be plenty for you.

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Yes, well I don't need super-volume as so it goes. My band does have 2 guitarists who both play 4X12's though. One uses a Soldano SLO 100, and the other a Carvin Legacy. Both 100 watt tube heads. The B2R is actually loud enough through my Eden 2X10XLT and 1X18XL, but headroom brings out some harmonics that don't seem to be there when you run out of power (IMO). That's why I'm looking for more kick.

I pretty much figured that the GK had more going for it-I guess I have to see if I like the tone of it.

I always come back to Ampeg (even solid state Ampeg) it seems...

Thanks!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, so it's not just me. It seems that my RB 1001 II is much louder than amps that have more wattage. Not that it's a bad thing! :bassist:

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That, and GK's just seem to have a knack for cutting through in any situation. One of the best tone nights i've had at a gig was with the aforementioned 800RB/Ampeg cabinet combination at a blues-rock trio gig. Amazing sound with plenty of volume and headroom. :bassist:

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Well, I will report back on my findings. I will try the 1001RB-II with my Eden setup, but I would like get use the SVT-4X10HLF rig eventually.

17. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    The title should be loud vs. not loud. The GK blows the ampeg away, IMO, volume wise, but I think both have nice tones. BTW, you should keep those edens too.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've found myself turning my bass volume down, because it seems to be VERY loud, but my lead singer would look at me and shake his head, "No." So I have to put it back where it was. :cool: In fact, my experience with the 800RB is what made me sign with GK! Dan is the man, but his wife is the REAL genius! :bassist:

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I used a fellow bassplayer's 2000 watt rig w 4/10's sunday night and was totally lost in the mix!. I couldn't hear squat! totally uninpressed I was with his mega watt rig. I have used my 1001rb 2x10 combo in the same type venue and have alway's been heard clearly. When I use my 1x15 RBH cab with it it's a ginsu for sure!. Iv'e used ampegs (tried to anyway) in studio's Iv'e alway's been disappointed. Slow stuff!