GK 1001rb-II vs Ampeg SVT1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? I wouldn't even consider the Ampeg, Ampeg and SS don't combine very well for me. The GK would be OK, but I don't like that sound either. I would look at a bunch of other options, but the GK may do well depending on what you play.
  2. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i currently had the GK 1001-rbII and some GK cabs. the head is cool and versitle.

the cabs might not be my cup of tea. the cabs sound okay but harsh when the tweeter is used, but a dull sounding with the tweeter off, if i played with a hi-fi tone they would be more suitable. good constuction, but the drivers are just hit and miss (except for the 410rbh which was great).

i've always really liked the look of the ampeg stuff and may be buying some ampeg cabs soon. i already have the 115, and will probably get the 410 too. i thought about getting the svt1000 to match. i had the 350h, cool cosmeticaly, but it was okay sounding, not very powerful and the fan was noisy.

i was just wanting to see peoples opinions of one head versus the other.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the GK is high-fi which I don't really enjoy a ton, but I think the Ampeg is just ****ty sounding, like an impersonation of tubes that doesn't quite pass. However, that said I love the origional SVT and the SVT-II, and to a somewhat lesser extent the CL and 2-Pro which sound good but just don't produce that origional SVT vibe. The hybrid gear is decent, but nothing special. I stay away from Ampeg cabs as much as possible; they cannot handle the lows that my 5er puts out and don't sound very good unless its one of the vintage 810s, which are pretty rare. For modern yet vintage SVTish sounding cabs, I'd go with Bergantino.