Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK-1001RB-II vs GBE 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gazman_res, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Gallien-Kruger 1001RB-II

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Genz Benz GBE 600

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Heya guys,

My mind is almost made up about which head i want, but at the moment i would like to also like to hear other peoples opinions on these amps!

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I've played both... I'd definitely take the GK.. The GBE sounds amazing, but is a bit monotonous... The GK can bust out the clean, the gritty, and the down right dirty.

3. go with the gk

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've owned both. If you want more agressive, sterile tone, go with the GK, if you want a versatile head that can go from warm tube to a hi-fi punch go with the Genz. Many people will say go with GK just because it is the better known, but Genz is a well kept secret. The tube and solid state preamps and eq boosts are great features to have. GK has better highs, but the Genz will have better mids and lows.

~Patrick

5. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The GK isn't bad but the GBE 600 was a monster! I agree that the GBE has great lows and mid-lows. The GK had noticable trouble keeping the highs and high-mids in check on my bass while the GBE had no problems at all.

If you're just wanting a clean tone, the GK is fine and an excellent deal as well. The GBE is a better all-around head, though. You can go more SS and get the GK sound or go, tube and get a nice, warm sound or mix the two. Not sure if you need/want but the GBE can also handle a 2 ohm load.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I bought a GK1001RBII a couple monthes back.. While I like the change in tone since I was used to an Eden for many years, I think I'd try something different. The GK is sterile sounding, and sometimes I feel like it chokes my transients a little. I'm picky, and not really into the gritty thing, which the GK can do well. My leanings are more towards the hi-fi clean warm thing. But having said that, the jury is still out on this amp, I've played about 6 gigs with it so far, so need more time to decide for myself. (when I first got the Eden years ago, I knew instantly it was a kick ass amp)

I think to get something close to my tone on the GK I usually end up backing off on the highs and high mids, and boosting the low mid and lows. Kinda strange having to do that after being used to using an amp that sounded great FLAT. And I miss the semi parametric eq on the eden.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I use the GK flat, but it only sounds good on certain basses with extra warm bass. The EQ can't add the warmth if the bass doesn't do it naturally. Only one of my three basses sounds good on it. But that one sounds great on it. The ampeg SVT-3 in comparision has a much warmer, but less punchy sound to it. I can make any of my basses sound good on it, but not as good as the GK is with the one. I'm sure that was confusing. The GK has better attack and seem quicker than the Ampeg, but the Ampeg can get warmer. It's your pick.
    Wes

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I vote GB. The GK is too "brighty bright" for me (finally played one Monday night.