Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB-II vs Mesa M-pulse600 (or others)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kolkoz, Mar 10, 2004.

1. GK 1001RB-II

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Mesa M-pulse600

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. kolkoz

kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    FRANCE
    Hi everybody !
    I'm would like to buy one of these heads but i don't know which to choose.
    I like punchy rock tones, a bit aggressive...
    I have tried an Ashdown ABM500 Evo II and i didn't like it !!! Too much low end, i think...
    I also love to have a rock and agressive tone when i use slap technique (do you know what i mean ?)
    Now, I have a Hartke HA3500 (i love it) but i would like a more versatile head, with more power, preferably in the 500 - 800 watt range.

Do you think that these two heads are for me ?
    Where can I here sound clips ?
    which other heads would be the best for me?

Thank you very much
    cedric from france

2. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    umm... the GK is very good,especially for his price. The mesa is great too but very expensive and too complex sometimes... hard to find the sound you want because of all the knobs. But,..have you tried them? go to universal bass(paris) to try the mesa or to total guitar in paris also to try both.
    à + ! :cool:

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    if you like punchy then you'll like GK, the new 1001RB's are a great deal.

4. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I don't like how Mesa-Boogie sounds, too unnatural. GKs are cheaper and sound dandy.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    dear sir, highly recomend the G-K that mesa m-pulse is to damn complicated to dial in a tone. the G-K is smooth and very clean. bi-amp gives it growl though. as one man once said "if its good enough for Flea, its good enough for me.." ;)

6. kolkoz

kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    FRANCE
    Thank you very much for your reply...but what can you say about sound, tone, of this two head...

7. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    dear sir,
    the g-k is clean. not sterile like the swr heads. G-k also has a warmth but that is just me i guess, mesa is a TON of cash and i cant get a decent tone out of them at all. It seems that the metal heads love the tone but I just dont get it. If I am going to spend top dollar, and mesa is top dollar, then I am going to EA or EBS. the EBS heads are SWEET in tone and are built like a brick you know what. To my ears and pocket book the g-k gives great bang for the buck. but the beauty of ears is that ones mans Eden is another mans Crate. :D
    Keep the funk alive!!!

8. quiet the opposite. The GK is a solid amp, but that's it. Mesa's tone and sound versatility is only paralleled with a few other high end amps. GK can sound dull and boring.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd have to disagree on the comment "too complex...hard to find the sound you want because of all the knobs". This may be partially true on other Mesa models (M-2000) but the M-Pulse amps are much more plug and play amps. I don't even use the 5-parametric most of the time. I've owned several GK amps and IMO the the GK amp can't hold a candle to the Mesa M-pulse 600 in a rock gig setting. If you can find a store to A/B the amps go for it. But the real difference will be heard (and felt) at a live gig! :bassist:

10. I haven't tried the Mesa but I own a GK and the sound can be really aggressive if you want it to. The sound is clean, VERY PUNCHY. Boost the mids at 1 o'clock, the other pots at noon and here you go. It's quite easy to dial the sound you want.

If you can get the chance to try it, go ahead!!!

11. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Clean + Punchy = GK
    The Mesa has a warmer old school sound IMO.

12. For all you Mesa cats:

What about the simul-360 head with like a 4-10? I have been looking at one of those to replace the Hartke. I also play in a rock setting. Are those any good? Around here they retail around $1000. :meh:

13. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I assume you're referencing the M-Pulse 360. Great sound! You might want to hold out for a M-Pulse 600 but only if you feel that you might need the extra headroom (600 watts @ 4 ohms). I will say this though, my Mesa at 600 watts RMS blows away my former rack rig rated at 1150 watts RMS! I'm sure that the 360 model can pump it out also. Nothing quite like Boogie power! :hyper:

14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've been using the mesa 360 for just over six months now. It is definately loud enough :smug:
    I wish it was mine- :bawl: It did take me a couple of sessions to get the sound I was after but I like the way that the eq is set up. It seems quite extreme as the first time I used it I seemed redicuously boomy but after peeling back some of the low frequencies I discovered it has a lot of midrange variation- just might take you an hour or so of fiddling during practice. . IMO it seems to sound better the louder it gets- but maybe that's just me. :D

15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I do not have any experience with the Mesa but I have had the GK 1001RB Combo for three years with no problems and I love the tone and power of this amp. I feel that it is pretty dang versatile too.