Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Foster2004, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    Alright, I got the GK 1001 RBII. I HEARD great things about it, and I've been using it for about 4 months now BUT i haven't really been too impressed with it. I'm playing it through and ampeg 4 x 12 cab and I added a Sans Amp too. Any suggestions on how I should set this thing up? Or should I just sell it and get an all tube jobber?

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    4x12???

I didn't know ampeg was still making them.

I would first play without the sans amp and set everything on the amp to zero. This is what I did on my gk and I then just adjusted my treble down a little. Everything else sounded great to me.

danman

3. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    it's an older ampeg. It's an SVT HEN, and I heard it was discontinued a while back. Thanks for the help advice, I'll give it a shot.

4. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I like the GK for a solid state sound. I have an Ashdown for the tube sound. Both have their place...so I wouldn't get rid of the GK.

Some peole scoop the GK, I prefer to turn the bass knob almost all the way up, leave the scoop knob off (or sometimes 9-10 o'clock but no higher) and sometimes push the string switch in (acts like a deep switch). Leave everything else close to flat, with a small treble cut. Produces a nice punchy sound. While the GK doesn't have the three dimensional depth of an amp with a tube pre, it is a versitile, powerful amp that can do clean or dirty with authority...and is not heavy.

I would find the right sound on the GK and THEN add the Sans Amp for additional effect. Oh, play with the Boost knob on the GK too. I'm not a fan of distortion, so I use it boosted no more than 10, but this knob is a very important part of the GK design in terms of the overall character of the amp.

You might try the GK with a different cab...could be the cab that is bugging you.

5. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    Sorry about the profile. I just joined today, but i filled it in the best I could. I find that the amp isn't loud enough and it's really tinny. I play with the tone knob on my bass at about the middle. That little peak light flashes when I crank the amp volume past half way, so I use that little limited button. I set up everything the best I can but I'm always afraid to push it and blow it up. I think the other half of the problem is the bridge on my bass. it's kinda rusted and corroded. My bass teacher said to get a badass, but someone in the forum suggested sticking with the fender brand. I'm really confused. I play a lot of rock mostly. Alot of the songs are in drop D so when I hit that E string when its tuned down it sounds like crap. I played through an svt 4 and ampeg 8 x 10 while i was on tour this summer and it ruled. But right now I can't afford that setup. So yeah, sorry for the long post and my lack of knowledge.

6. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    First, turn your master volumes all the way off (Tweeter and Woofer). Turn you bass volume to the max volume you will use while playing. Play your E string hard while adjusting the preamp volume (the one on the left of the amp) until the peak light starts to light up. On my active basses, I push in the -14db button as it sounds like you are doing. Back off on the amp preamp volume until the peak light comes on only if you play a string really really hard. Small peaks are ok, large peaks are not. This should be your ideal preamp volume. Now turn your woofer volume knob up to gig volume. If is sounds tinny, turn the bass knob...don't be shy, that's what its there for...and it boosts at a much higher frequency than a lot of amps (60hz), so it shouldn't be too boomy. Leave all other knobs flat for now. If things still don't sound right, try dialing in the contour knob to reduce some midrange...which I suspect a 4-12 cab has a lot of vs the 810. Put the Boost Volume knob between 10-12 oclock.

Another way some guys run their amps is to turn the Master (woofer) volume all the way up and adjust the preamp volume as necessary. As powerful as this amp is, you shouldn't need to do that. I do that on my GK 400RB.

Also, make sure you don't have any of the crossover knobs engaged or the high rolloff buttons engaged.

The instruction manual for this amp is available on line at the GK site. It has a lot of good suggestions.

As mentioned above, check your speaker cable...a 12 guage speaker cable (not instrument) is recommended...and the speakons included with the amp are for GK cabinets only.

In the end, this amp may not be your perfect sound, but it doesn't suck and should be super loud with a 4-12 cabinet.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ampeg cabs are slow cabs, they don't respond as well as a fast cab like Eden, GK, SWR, Bergantino, Epifani, Harke. They are good for loud stuff and being heard but will not reproduce the GK's signal fast enough for some types of music. Slow cabs are good for warmth (can often get muddy) while fast cabs are very articulate and cut through the mix better, utilizing a broader spectrum (frequency response). I would say try your head with a different cab and see if you like that instead of trying to make it happen with that particular cab you now have.

just my .02 cents

8. First you need to know that the volume knob will have NO effect on the clip light. The clip LED only measures the input signal. If it's flashing, then you need to turn the volume on your bass down or press in the -14dB pad. If you're running a sansamp between your bass and the amp, just turn it down there.

Next. for a cleaner signal, it's better to run the power amp fairly high and the preamp fairly low. What it means in this case is, turn the woofer/master up and the volume down. I suggest setting the woofer/master at 12 oclock to start with and set the boost to at least 12 oclock.

For the EQ section, start with this
    treble at 9 oclock
    high mid at 11 oclock
    low mid at 12 oclock
    bass at 2 oclock.

Try the contour at 12 oclock to start with. I don't like high end so I keep the presence off, but if you like a little clickety click go with the presence at around 10 oclock or higher.

For the preamp volume, keep at 12 oclock or lower. If you need more overall volume first turn the woofer/master up. You can go all the way up if you need to. If you still need more, turn the boost up. If you're not getting crankin' volume by this time, then there is definitely something wrong.

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Daniel, thanks for the info on the preamp volume...now it makes sense why no matter how low I turned the preamp down, it kept clipping until I pressed the db button. So if I am interpreting this right, the amp says "this signal is too strong for me to work with" and requires the db reduction?

OK, so what exactly is the preamp volume doing as you turn it higher?

10. There's three stages to the head. First is the input stage. This is the signal going into the head. Next is the preamp stage. The volume knob is the first part of the preamp stage. It boosts or cuts the signal going into the preamp section. A lot of times people think they're speakers are distorting or that they don't have enough power when really all they're doing is overdriving the preamp. The easiest way to determine if this is what's going on is you will get a dirty or distorted signal regardless of the volume level. The voicing filters, and eq are part of the preamp stage. The boost is the final part of the preamp. Think of it as a post-eq gain control. It also adds a little saturation depending on how strong your signal is. The third stage is the power amp. The Master controls how much signal is allowed into the power amp section where the signal is boosted to a listenable level. It is also possible to overdrive the poweramp section, which would cause damage to speakers regardless of their power handling capacity, but that is another discussion. So there is the dummies guide to bass heads written by the chief dummy.