GK 1001RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irory, Oct 14, 2005.

1. irory

irory

Oct 14, 2005
    I recently attained a Gallien Krueger 1001RB II 210 combo, and I love it (especially with my Stingray 5 and a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI). However, the amp gets really really hot, so hot to where it sometimes hurts my hand to touch the metal on the control panel. I know it pushes 700 watts, and the fan seems to be running fine, but it seems too hot...

Any suggestions/comments/insight?

thanks

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's interesting....my amp never gets that hot and I have it in a rack....

There's a GK rep that is on TB...his name is Daniel Elliot, but he may have changed it - he's always been a great help.

I hope there's nothing wrong with the amp - you're not pushing more than 4 ohms, right?

:)

3. irory

irory

Oct 14, 2005
    nah i run a hartke 215XL through the 1001RB which is 400W at 4 ohms so it shouldn't be that

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wait a sec...you run an 4 ohm cab along with your combo? That IS the problem. You're running a 2.67 ohm load on an amp that isn't capable of that. You can ONLY safely use an 8 ohm extension cab with that combo.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I think he's just talking about the head.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I assume the opposite, being as he said he was using the combo. If he's just using the head, with the internal speakers disconnected, then of course, it's not a problem.

7. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I see how you can to the realization, him posting in a thread about the combo.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I ran a 1001rbii head with a 4 ohm aggie cab for a while and it ran VERY cool.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    4 ohm load no heat problems here.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    4 ohms, two cabs (aggie and eden) - no problems here...i'm thinking he's going down below 4ohms.....

Well, at least we know it can handle it. :D Not bad for a $530 (brand spankin' new, out the door) amp. :D

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If he's using an 8 with a 4, he's at 2.67, well below the limit.