Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by irory, Oct 14, 2005.

1. irory

irory

Oct 14, 2005
    I recently attained a Gallien Krueger 1001RB II 210 combo, and I love it (especially with my Stingray 5 and a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI). However, the amp gets really really hot, so hot to where it sometimes hurts my hand to touch the metal on the control panel. I know it pushes 700 watts, and the fan seems to be running fine, but it seems too hot...

Any suggestions/comments/insight?

thanks

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's interesting....my amp never gets that hot and I have it in a rack....

There's a GK rep that is on TB...his name is Daniel Elliot, but he may have changed it - he's always been a great help.

I hope there's nothing wrong with the amp - you're not pushing more than 4 ohms, right?

:)

3. irory

irory

Oct 14, 2005
    nah i run a hartke 215XL through the 1001RB which is 400W at 4 ohms so it shouldn't be that

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wait a sec...you run an 4 ohm cab along with your combo? That IS the problem. You're running a 2.67 ohm load on an amp that isn't capable of that. You can ONLY safely use an 8 ohm extension cab with that combo.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I think he's just talking about the head.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I assume the opposite, being as he said he was using the combo. If he's just using the head, with the internal speakers disconnected, then of course, it's not a problem.

7. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I see how you can to the realization, him posting in a thread about the combo.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I ran a 1001rbii head with a 4 ohm aggie cab for a while and it ran VERY cool.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    4 ohm load no heat problems here.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    4 ohms, two cabs (aggie and eden) - no problems here...i'm thinking he's going down below 4ohms.....

Well, at least we know it can handle it. :D Not bad for a $530 (brand spankin' new, out the door) amp. :D

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If he's using an 8 with a 4, he's at 2.67, well below the limit.