1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB II's bi-amping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedalguy1, Oct 2, 2008.

1. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Im I reading correctly that I need GK cabs to bi-amp with this head? Does anybody bi-amp with it? Does it sound better bi-amped?

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I'm not sure about the first question.

I use the GK 1001RB-II with a RBX10 that is bi-amped. I get a great tone out of it, but I have never used it not bi-amped so I have nothing to compare the sound too. I hear that the bi-amping will you a better slap tone. If you chose not to bi-amp, you will not be able to use the tweeter, woofer, or boost controls on the 1001RB-II.;)

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    You will definitely be able to use the woofer and boost controls without bi-amping.

4. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx

This is not true.

If you choose not to bi-amp, you will not be able to use the tweeter control. The boost and woofer work just fine in full range mode and are an integral part of the GK sound.

The tweeter knob controls a seperate 50W amp used to drive the horn when using the HMS with a GK cab and 4 pin Speakon cable.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes, they have a special 4-way connection in their cabs that allows them to use seperate volume for the woofer(s) and the tweeter on the head.

Can't help with this one.

When I have played with the, the sound was pretty much the same. The main difference was being able to control the tweeter volume on the front of the head. IIRC, the tweeter volume is isolated from the effects loop, since a lot of effects can sound harsh when used with a tweeter. This allows you to still use the tweeter without having to run distortion or other stuff through it. So, if you use a lot of effects, it might to have this control. But, the overall sound of the amp is the same, whether bi-amped or not IME.

6. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    You don't have to have GKRBH cabs to use the biamp but your cabs must be wired GK RBH style, which means this:
    Cab Speakon jack 1+/1- terminals wired to the speakers,
    Cab Speakon jack 2+/2- terminals wired directly to the horn (cab crossover bypassed or disconnected),
    GK-style Speakon cable (4 wire, passing all 4 speakon terminals through).
    That's it.
    I used my SWR cabs both ways (GK RBH style and regular) with my 700RBII and 1001RBII for many gigs and to tell the truth, I didn't hear any significant difference.
    The main advantage/difference was having control of my tweeter level at the front of my amp rather than the back of my cab, but then again if you turn your amp/woofer up/down you have to re-adjust your tweeter level too.
    If you don't re-wire your cabs to GK style, you might want to turn your GK head's woofer hi-cut OFF (or be aware of this option and try both ways).

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That cable is a standard PA cable for bi-amping. The only folks who seem to think it is special are bassists without prosound experience ...

Far as biamping with the head - 1001 RB II - pretty much a waste of time IMO.

The crossover is fixed at 5K which is awfully darned high - so if your cab is designed to cross there great. I did it with a Bag End, designed to cross about 3.5 and after about 5 minutes, re-wired the cab back to stock. It just sounded better that way.

I own a 1001 RB II and consider it to be near a benchmark for amps under about double it's price. It's a fantastic head. I just ignore the Tweeter control and use the heck out of Boost and Woofer, Contour too! A great amp!

8. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    cool, thanks everyone. I just thought of it kind of strange that only GK cabs could take advantage of the bi-amping feature, however it looks like it doesnt do much to anyones sound anyway. I've tried this baby at the local GC and I gotta admit I love the crisp tone the 1001rb delivers.

9. Hey mate, the Bi-amp is kinda funky, but it's actually not as intuititive as I had thought it would be when I got my GK cab (neo 2x12) to go with my 1001rb.

I wrongly assumed it would be like having the attenuator on the front of the head which struck me as very convenient.
    It's not bad at all though, but I guess it wasn't what I thought it would be!

It's actually much more musical and fun to use in the passive x-over mode with your tweeter attenuator set to full and using the EQ to get more/less from the tweeter.

What I'm trying to say is that when you run the Bi-amp and decide to turn yourself up louder (on the woofer) you will find yourself going back to turn up your tweeter volume and then wondering if it's too bright or is the tweeter volume too high, or is the woofer not loud enough with respect to the tweeter etc.

You may end up doing more tweaking than playing like I did!

I don't regret getting the GK cab, it's great, but I will say that 2 different ampeg 4x10 cabs I tryed with it sounded equally kickass except with a little more midrange bite.

The GK neo cabs have a very smooth, mildly scooped voicing with any heads I've tryed (Ashdown abm500, Hartke 5500, and a Peavey Tour 700).

Hope that helps you out!

10. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Funny you should mention the Ampeg 4x10 because thats actually what im using right now, i really like the clarity of the GK and im wondering if the Ampeg is going to give it too much warmth, Im not a fan of wooly tone.