1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001rb in the shop with bad power amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BtaylorTheRogue, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Hey all. Looking for some advice. I know very little about amps.

My GK 1001rbii is in the shop. It looks like the power amp is out. Amp sounds great when I run bass into the GK input, out of the effect loop send, into the effect loop return of my fender rumble. When I run it as normal (outputs at the back into cabs) it fades in and out and sounds super nasty.

When I described that to the repair guy, he said it was likely the power amp, and estimated anywhere from 75 to 200 bucks to fix. He also mentioned that I could just use a second amp to power the cabs, and that a cheap one would do.

What should I do, mighty gods of thunder? Should I get my amp fixed? Should I just use a slave power amp, which would probably mean another piece of gear to worry about?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Use an instrument cable between preamp out and preamp in, see if that cures the problem. Your symptoms may be corroded jacks from lack of use.

Fingers crossed, it is the cheapest fix...

3. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm not really sure what preamp out and in are, but when I ran a cable between the fx loop send and return, it didn't help. Is that what you're suggesting?

This amp gets pretty regular use, and went from great to horrible overnight, so I don't think it's corrosion.

4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'd fix the amp properly. It's heavy enough without adding a redundant power amp into the mix.

Yes, the preamp in/out suggestion is the same as what you're already doing. There is no other connections on those RB heads other than tuner and speaker outs.

Kro and BrentSimons like this.
  5. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    This is what I’m leaning towards. I just haven’t paid attention, so maybe 17 year old amps are lame. Who knows.

I’d hate to spend 200 fixing it when 200 could get me a baller replacement, but then people are apparently still slapping down 800 for fresh 1001s, so I figure I should get it fixed.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    My GK had a similar problem. Run a short instrument cable from the pre out to the power amp in. Basically a free fix.

$100 to fix that amp is absolutely worth it. It’s also better to fix something and save it from a landfill and put a few bucks in a repair guy’s pocket than to send your money direct to China for a new amp

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not sure what you think you'll get with $200...

Especially vs. repairing a classic solid-state amp. This is a no brainer.

Bonus points in my book, if as you say it's the 17 year old older-style monochrome 1001RB. :thumbsup:

8. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm not really sure. To be honest, I'm not even sure it's a mark-ii now that I think of it. I apparently don't have pictures of it, but it looks like all the other GKs I've seen.

Looks like this: rb1001rbii_1.

Not sure if it has the stuff in red above the knob plate. You'd think it'd be obvious, but me and the color red have some issues.

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's a Mark ii - definitely not 17 years old that one - maybe 15 at the oldest... That's a great amp, fix it up!