1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB mark II + avatar B410 neo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shutupdonnie, Sep 15, 2008.

1. shutupdonnie

shutupdonnie

Sep 15, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    hi, i'm new here so here goes:

i've had my GK for about a year now, and i've played it through various 4x10 cabinets. always sounded great with the boost and woofer control set lower and the volume set higher. it drives the preamp harder than the power amp and drives the BBE that i have in the effects loop harder. when i bought the avatar cab a few days, ago i discovered that it sounds better with just the opposite setting: i have the boost set at about 3'oclock, the tweeter control set at about 3 o'clock, and the woofer control all the way up, with the volume knob sitting right about 12 o'clock. the amp is eq'ed with slightly boosted low and high mids. i also padded the 16 db pad on the input jack. so basically, i'm driving the pre-amp about half as hard as the power section.

does this seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?

does anyone else have a similar set up?

is it just that the speakers in the avatar are really high fidelity that this set up works this way?

thoughts?