1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001rb Mark II Bi-Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSmith, Jan 26, 2004.

1. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Hey All,
    I plan on getting a GK 1001rb Mark II soon and I was wondering if you can bi-amp it using 2 cabs that are 4omm each. I ask because I currently have a 800 rb and the manual says the High range speaker needs to be 8omm or you risk damage. So, I'm hoping the 1001 will work with my 4 omm cabs. Thanks!
    Robert

2. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    The minimum impedance on the GK 1001RB II is 4 ohms. Running two 4ohm cabs would be a two ohm load. The bi-amping option of the GKs (Except the 800RB) is for tweeters only. They are a plug and play option with compatible GK cabs, but other set-ups need some mods (Easy ones, though.) I have the GK 1001RB II and love it.

Good luck.

Matt

3. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I just plug in and play like I do on my 800rb (in full range).

4. If you're using it with a non GK cabinet, just ignore the tweeter control. It'll function like a standard mono amplifier at 700 watts.

5. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Thanks Daniel.