GK 1001RB ... new version? when?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 22, 2003.

1. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i did a search to see if anyone was talking about the upgraded GK 1001RB (mark II???) ... i thought these were supposed to be out in march or april???

they are now supposed to put out 700w @ 4ohms ... 18 lbs. and no change in price so i heard?

anybody know when they're hitting the street?
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  3. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey

i'm sportin' a woody for this head. i have the amazing aguilar 750, but i just can't be carrying that around nyc for one-set gigs.

i'd love a woods, but would have to sell the aggie to justify it, and i don't want to do that.

after playing the aggie, you get spoiled for all that wattage ... and i'm into having a tube head and a SS head for different sounds ... i envision using the GK for the more prog-metal stuff i've been doing lately.

not to say the aggie wouldn't cut whatever vibe you needed, just a different sound.

cool! can't wait for the end of may!

4. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Sell the Aggie and use the money you would spend on the GK and get a Woods. Someone I know just called Walter yesterday and he had 1200 watt models in stock. 7lbs, 1200 watts, GREAT tone!! hhmmm??
  5. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I believe certain GC's have them right now.

6. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Was it an Electracoustic model or an older one?
  7. not to be negative about the WW, but I think its the exclusivity that makes them so attractive. I've heard more than a few folks talk about thier tone without ever witnessing it personally. I've heard even more recommend WW's sight unseen.

I dont doubt that WW's are incredible pieces, but I doubt the opinion of the many that have never come close to one.
  8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Walter sold many oh his 100 watt models throughout the late '70's through early '90's. So I would guess that chances are that is what you played through. The first Walter Woods I bought was a 100 watter back in 1980. I realized very soon it was well underpowered especially for an electric. Walter upgraded it for me to his 400 watt model. Big improvement. The only thing about the early models is the tone was not exactly the best for electric. Too clean and brittle sounding. But 400 watts in what was then a 9 lb package seem to make up for the shortcomings.
    The Electracoustic was introduced in 1996 and it was big improvement over any of his previous models. The tone is very tube like, yet being transistor adds a little punch. The preamp is very versatile and user friendly.
    I have owned at least 12 of Walter's including a 2000 watt model that most people weren't even aware of. A couple of weeks after it was delivered to he had to recall it after it had a design flaw. I presently have the 1200 watt model. I've also owned most of the top amp or preamps there is any I seem to come back the Walter Woods. When A/B on a gig the Woods with a GK, EA iAmp, and an Eden, all with comprable power ratings, I thought the Woods blew them away. I owned a DB750 loved it til I had to lift it(It would be nice to have as a second amp). The Woods advantages were always power, tone,user friendly, weight(7 lbs),reliability, and customer service.
    I hope eventually you have the opportunity to either hear or play through a high watt Electracoutic model. And if you ever decide you're interested in one a conversation with Walter will definitely make you feel real good about any possible purchase. Great guy!

9. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    thanks for the replies. i was just at GC yesterday, and they had some new stock of the old models (knobs felt slightly more rubbery, FWIW) ...

i didn't see the new model, so i guess end of may ...

my aggie 750 just is so great, i couldn't take a change flipping that for a WW ... (i've heard 'em, but it's a lot of $$$ on a head i've never gigged on) ... but i know resale is no prob.

anyway ... at just over a dollar a watt, i like the GK more and more! :D
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Walter Woods amps almost always sell for more they they costs new. Just recently on eBay a 3 year old High Power sold for $1550, a new one is $1450. A beat up 15 year old four channel 400 watt model sold for $1450, they were only about $800 new. Walter Woods are not a purchase, they're an investment.
  11. Hi guys,
    sorry to be late to the game. They have me swamped at work. The 100RB-II will be out toward the end of May. GC doesn't have them yet. I've been using a lab sample for several weeks. This amp kicks butt!!! The 700RB and 400RB also got a power boost and facelift. Prices will be the same. The 1001RB-II also got some significant internal component and design upgrades and improvements. Better input jack, sturdier preamp board, etc.
  12. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Dan, GK user here. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 400RBIII combo and upgrade to the new 1001RBII, I also own a 1x15 RBH cab. My question is should I get the 2x10 RBH or can I use the 1001RBII combo with 2x10's.Will there be any noticable difference?.I want to be able to break the amp up for smaller gigs.
  13. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    will the 400RBIV have the same upgrades as the 1001RB II?
  14. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey

wow. did not realize that ... good to know. thanks for the info.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a 1001rb about 4+ years ago. I love the fuctionality of this amp. It's got great tone, and lots of power and punch. I recently moved on to an iAMP800 as my main amp. but I gotta say that I ain't selling my 1001rb. it's a keeper. I'm also very curious about the new models. they can only be an improvement over what was already a great head. Anybody hear what the street price might be? I see MF is doing the old 1001rb for $749. I'm guessing that the new model will go for $800 to $900 on the street?
  16. You shouldn't notice any difference between the combo and the cabinet. They are the same speakers and the internal cavity is almost identical.

The price will be the same as the current model.

Yes, the 400 got the same component upgrades to make it more reliable.