Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RB or Ashdown EVO500II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMSterling, Mar 4, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    My choice for a new head is between the Ashdown Evo500II or the GK 1001RB. Which would you guys suggest? I will be trying both before I make my decision, just want to get some input on either head from you lot!

As for cabs I will getting a 4x10! Not sure which brand yet, but am swaying towards the GK 410RBH.

So yeah, which head and why?

Andy ;)

2. Leffe

Leffe

Dec 8, 2003
    SWEDEN
    GK :)

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    two different amps there.

what's your preference and playing style?

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I like my tone to be quite harsh, I don't mean distorted, I just mean aggressive. Kinda like Flea's live tone now! I know he uses GK Cabs, but I'm an unsure between these two heads and have read poor reviews on reliability in both, anyone had any experience with the reliability of either?

Andy

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I own a GK 700RB 210 (not a 700RB-II). And I played through a abm 350 just yesterday. Again I say that these two heads play very different.

I've heard lots of stuff from a whole bunch of people about GK reliability issues. In most cases if the amp is going to break it's going to happen within the first little while of operation. The warranty should cover this. I've had my GK for about 8 months. No problems. As for the ashdown I don't know anything about thier reliability from experience. You may want to read this BP review (http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1998/9806/ashdown.shtml ) or listen to anymore comments posted here (but don't take one person's opinion based on a bad experience).

The ashdown sound very warm and smooth with emphasis on the low end.

If you are looking for a more aggresive sounding amp I would not suggest ashdown.

I think GK is your better bet there. Sometimes this sound is a little unforgiving to your playing style. But this doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Other names that come to mind when thinking about the word agressive include:
    - ampeg - warmer growl than the GK - they have nice punchy cabs to (but not as much mid range as the GK 410RBH)

- Glockenlang - based on what I've heard they are expensive but have great sound reproduction (clear, articulate, punchy, natural). Best to ask Trip Wimsley about those. Plus these look like real work horse amps (built to take a beating)! - they also have very nice cabs but again really expensive.

another cab I've been hearing about that you may take a liking to is the GK sbx 410

6. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Wow, nice one mate! Thanks for all the advice. I'll have a read of that review etc and look into those other brands. Thanks again.

Andy :)

7. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    If you are going to get the GK 410RBH then definitely go with the GK 1001rb-II. The bi-amp feature is very cool. You can control your tweeter from your amp, rather than the back of the cabinet. The new GK heads sound soooooooo good.

8. Well, I have a GK 1001RB-II and its not a bad head. It died after 3 months of low volume jamming-in-my-room use but a quick soldering job as per GK's tech's instructions fixed the problem without further issue. I DID, however, get hit for shipping charges for a replacement circuit board that was not needed and had to be returned. And I never got that free hat I was promised :(.

All in all, it's a good head...light (18 lbs), powerful, and sounds good. Despite my tiny issue I still recommend it.

9. Also, the only thing I really don't like about the GK is that fact that the air vent is on top of the amp. This requires a 1U space above the head for proper cooling so keep that in mind.

10. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Thanks!

Andy :)

11. Phil,
    I don't remember you asking for a hat, but I will send a hat and a T-shirt to you on Monday. just PM me on your shirt size.

You technically only need a 1/2 inch clearance above the head.

The GK head is definitely agressive but it's fairly easy to dial in a warm tone as well. the Mark II series heads are rock solid. we've had less than 1% failure rate on the 1001RB-II, and I'm pretty sure we haven't had any failures on the 700RB-II or the 400Rb-IV. Unfortunately, Phil's was one of the very few that had a small problem which was compounded by the fact that he lives out in the middle of the ocean. In Europe and Australia, we had a fuse problem that was quickly resolved but other than that, these heads have been as solid as anything.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    GK all the way. The 410RBH is the best cab I've ever tried, and I've tried almost everything under the sun.

~Patrick

13. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Check your emails mate! Well when you get a chance obviously :p

Andy

14. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I have owned both heads and my vote goes to GK. It is louder and will cut thru better than the Ashdown. I recommend Bergantino cabs. Try the HT 322.