1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gk 1001rb vers 700rb-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Mar 29, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Hey guys ,I have a question for you all.I just picked a old new gk 1001rb head.And i was wondering how they comper to say the new 700rb II.I use to have a older 700rb and i have to say that this 1001 blows it right out of the water....volume and tone wise.i see that the new 700rb it only 60 watts less at 4 ohms and only 10 watts less at 8 ohms.so i guess my question is does the new 700rb II hold anything on 1001rb or is the older 1001 still more powerfull the it.Hope you can help.Thankx:cool:

2. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    BUMP!!!:D

3. Oreo

Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York
    700RB II - 480W to woofer 50W to horn
    1001RB II - 700W to woofer 50W to horn

I'm almost possitive the only difference is wattage.

4. I'm tempted to take a crack at canada for a question like this as I just got done watching MST3k "the final sacrifice" and i'm loaded with them, but i'll withhold since there really is no such thing as a dumb question right?

They didn't change the preamp as far as i know. Changed poweramp as u know from 540 to 700 from mark I to mark II. The dif of 60 watts from new 700 to old 1001 is really is insignificant. Not sure if that's your question, they changed some type of electric board thing-a-majig due to some malfunctioning but other than that, nothing much AFAIK.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Actually, G-K did re-voice the EQ for the Mk. II versions of 700 and 1001RB, as I learned via e-mail from someone at G-K. I have both versions of the 700, and the Mk. II is much warmer and deeper sounding, and it seems to have triple the power. I know it doesn't, but the volume increase is staggering considering the power increase from 225 to 320 watts @ 8 ohms. So volume wise I bet the old 1001 and new 700 are comparable, but tone wise the 700RB-II might have an edge. But the old versions have excellent tone anyway, so I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on a 1001RB.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Very true what's said above! I own both versions of the 1001RB (1001RB & 1001RBII) there is a very clear difference in not only the main amp but the amp for the tweets is also mellower! With the MKII version of this amp they managed to tame the highs down while making the low end much warmer and deeper as stated above. I believe the pre-amp as well as the transformers were changed. I can't wait for my first outdoor gig so I can air out my GK rig!:)

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    hey thankx guy's.I have to say i really do love the 1001rb...even though it is not the mkII.they did not have any mkII's at the shop so i went with the old new 1001rb...and i have to say it does really kick butt.i would have to say that the swr 550x does not hold a candle to it power or tone wise.so untell i ever get the money or need to have one of the new mkII head....i am as happy as a pig in mud with this older 1001rb.GK ROCK'S!!!!!!!