1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001rb Vs. Ampeg SVT3-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_rookie, Nov 7, 2002.

1. i just bought an Ampeg 810E and im debating on which head to go with it. does anyone have any comments about either the Gallien-Krueger 1001rb and the Ampeg SVT3-Pro? im debating on these 2 heads. thanks.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    GK has faster attack, I think.

3. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    I'm not familiar with the Ampeg stuff but the GK is nice and they have a good warranty.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've seen Tony Kanal from No doubt using a GK head on top of an Ampeg 8x10 bottom. Sounded awesome!
    Thats a tough one, because I think both Ampeg, and GK make nice stuff. I played thru a GK 400RB head going into a nice EV 12" speaker a few weeks back. Really fat sound-and it seemed to grumble, in a way as to say "turn me up, and I'll blow your head off!"
    That was an older GK too, so imagine their stuff now sounds even better!
    Actually, I think I'd opt for the 1001RB-because you'll get more watts out of the 4 ohms then you will with the Ampeg. I'll bet that 8X10 would love the extra power too.
    Just my 2 cents.

5. Id say go with the GK I have a 700rb and played it with two 4x10 ampeg cabs it sounded really good. GK and ampeg make a good combination IMO.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    one more for GK... :p

i'm shocked though... GK is dominating the thread... where are the ampeg lovers??? :confused: LOL

7. i run a gk 1001rb through an ampeg 6x10... a match made in heaven i say.

8. I am a supporter of the SVT3 pro. I use one with my 8x10 as well as a vintage SVT when I need some extra power. I have tried the GK's before and thought they just did not have the warmth of the ampeg.