Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001rb Vs. Ampeg SVT3-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_rookie, Nov 7, 2002.

1. i just bought an Ampeg 810E and im debating on which head to go with it. does anyone have any comments about either the Gallien-Krueger 1001rb and the Ampeg SVT3-Pro? im debating on these 2 heads. thanks.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    GK has faster attack, I think.

3. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    I'm not familiar with the Ampeg stuff but the GK is nice and they have a good warranty.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've seen Tony Kanal from No doubt using a GK head on top of an Ampeg 8x10 bottom. Sounded awesome!
    Thats a tough one, because I think both Ampeg, and GK make nice stuff. I played thru a GK 400RB head going into a nice EV 12" speaker a few weeks back. Really fat sound-and it seemed to grumble, in a way as to say "turn me up, and I'll blow your head off!"
    That was an older GK too, so imagine their stuff now sounds even better!
    Actually, I think I'd opt for the 1001RB-because you'll get more watts out of the 4 ohms then you will with the Ampeg. I'll bet that 8X10 would love the extra power too.
    Just my 2 cents.

5. Id say go with the GK I have a 700rb and played it with two 4x10 ampeg cabs it sounded really good. GK and ampeg make a good combination IMO.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    one more for GK... :p

i'm shocked though... GK is dominating the thread... where are the ampeg lovers??? :confused: LOL

7. i run a gk 1001rb through an ampeg 6x10... a match made in heaven i say.

8. I am a supporter of the SVT3 pro. I use one with my 8x10 as well as a vintage SVT when I need some extra power. I have tried the GK's before and thought they just did not have the warmth of the ampeg.