Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RBII 12-hour use

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by litoljon, May 6, 2005.

1. litoljon

litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    We have a whole day music festival coming up and my band is providing the equipment.

I have a GK 1001RBII running into 410SBX and 115 SBX.

How do you think my amp will last for 12 hours of use (10am to 10pm) outdoors? The amp will surely be mic'ed or DI'ed so its purely stage sound. there's about 10 bands playing.

what do you guys think? should I place fan behind the rack?
    BTW, this is in SoCal in about 80 degree weather.

Anyone? Daniel? :)

Thanks!

->arthur

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Should be fine; 80 degrees isn't that hot and and it'll have some cooldown time during the set changeovers. I don't know how 'overspecced' GK's cooling is, but being a Class G (I think) amp, it should be putting out less heat than a conventional Class A/B. Extra cooling never hurts though; as does having a back-up amp/rig.

Alex

3. My 1001RB-II, Neo212 and Neo 115 were used as the house rig last week at a festival for my band and four openers. It was probably used for a total of 4-6 hours and I had no problems.

4. BassManMike

BassManMike

Apr 2, 2005
    No matter what, I'd try to arrange for a backup. Perhaps someone else you know could volunteer their head for use only in the event that something happens. Redundancy never hurts.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I heard that GK has been the most popular backline rental amp for years and years. If true, then that speaks toward your question.

I also know that in GK's literature they speak much of their over-built power supplies. They also say that even though their Artist series (1001/700 included) has these supplies that are capable of such huge current output, they are some of the few amps that have no current-clipping circuitry, because they have 'extra output devices' (..I think is how they put it) to take all the current the supply can deliver, until the over-temp protection kicks-in - muting the output completely until sufficient cool-down has occurred.

I bet you'll be OK. -In case twelve-hours of knocking-on-wood isn't enough insurance for ya', make sure someone brings a backup, though!

Hm - I guess most bassists are sort-of always "knocking on wood" whenever they play, and amps still blow-up sometimes... best go with the backup.

Joe

6. Just one thing, if its the only thing in the rack, you might want to take it out, more ventilation?

7. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    It should not be any problems, 1001RB-II has a well-functioning continuously variable fan cooling.