1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 1001rbii : do i need a DI or preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raul, Jun 9, 2017.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    ok, so those of who that own this amp: do you record with its built in DI?

or, do you use a preamp? preamp/DI?

needing some ideas and tips for possible DI or preamp pedals etc...

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I gigged many a times with this bad boy and recorded once with it. When I used the DI on it I would set it to "POST" and run the DI.

I did/do have pedals that have DIs out on them but I always used the DI on the amp or a separate DI box at times. I didn't normally run a DI out of my board. But since I got an all tube head with no DI out, I was using a house DI box. It wasn't until recently I decided I was going to start using the DI out of my B7K Ultra. So far it's been great.

This is a tough call all around. If you use a lot of effects like I do, it's not always easy to get what you want out of a DI or live sound. If it were up to me I would just run a mic to my cab and a DI out off my board and be done with it. But that isn't usually how it happens. Another option I was looking at is running an RNDI or JDX DI box between the amp and cab and then I’d want to run an LPF. That for ME would be ideal. It’s because I do use a lot of effects and my signal is dirty more than 90% of the time. But there are so many ways to skin a cat when it comes to live sound and DI’ing. You have to find what’s gonna work best for you and your bands sound and then the room. It changes all the time too because no two rooms respond the same.