Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RBII - I smell smoke???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moo, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi, I just bought a used GK 1001RBII and now when I play it in my living room (haven't played it loud yet) I'm getting a faint burnt electronics smell.

The original owner was very generous and offered to pay a tech to check it out but I thought I'd start with a post and see if there is a problem that may be obvious to someone else.

The fan does come on and the amp is not warm to the touch anywhere. Again this is a mild smell and there's no smoke. Any one know of a common issue with these amps?

thanks

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just bought a new one and it has an odd odor to it similar to what you mention. Ive read about it before and it could be common. Dont think anything is wrong with it, at least not with mine. Anone else?

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    How clean is it? If it is laden with bar scum, when it warms up, the ciggy smell can reappear . . . . . .

- Tim

4. I agree with Tim. If it hadn't been fired up in awhile it could just be dust on the inside that is starting to burn off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps going for a few days of playing it pretty good.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    metron, I have had new electronics get a little whiffy when they're new but the original owner said he never noticed and it I didn't the first time I used it either.

Tad, it's very clean. The screws that hold the fan in were a bit loose and I snugged them up but I don't think that could be related.

I think I'll send an email to their tech support and see what GK says.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Its probably just a smell of warm electronics. believe me, when electronics burn there's nothing weak about the smell.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    There really isn't anything in a solid state amp that should get that hot. This IS an artifact of tube amps, though . . . ..

- Tim

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Not to get too alarmist, but bad things can happen to good amps...

http://triplethreatband.com/todd/

At the very least, it is worth having a tech lift the cover and look for where the smoke might be coming from.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I believe this was talked about some time ago on TB.

This seems to be common with GK 1001RBII heads. Mine had a funky smell for a little bit, but does not anymore.

I have had mine for over a year.

I don't think its anything to worry about.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    DON'T WORRY, IT'S OK!

Mine was the same way. I believe it's the power transformer or something. Mine stunk for a while when I first got it, scared me a bit, researched it, no biggie, I've beat the CRAP out of mine and it has had NO problems.

Fear not. It's common, and ok. Don't know what/why, but it's "normal".

11. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Same thing with my 1001RB-II which I purchased new late in 2005. It still gives that odor (though I don't think it's as strong as it was or I'm just acclamating to it), but keeps pumping, doesn't run too hot, fan goes on/off like it should......absolutely no issues with it so far. In fact, I'm totally thrilled with the thing at this point in time.

Admittedly, this issue did make me a little skeptical when I first smelled it cooking during a rehearsal. I immediately rean my hand over it to see how hot it was! To my surprise, it wasn't hot at all. I researched the matter on various forums (found only a single reference to someone who simpoy returned it on that basis alone as it was otherwise okay) and I even dropped a line to GK about it, and though they've been very responsive on any questions/issue I've thrown at them, this issue never got an answer. I never followed up either and just chalked it up as that it had fallen into a crack. Since I've gigged extensively with it the short time I've had it without failure or glitch, I'm thinking it's fine (fingers crossed, toes crossed!!!!). I guess time will tell. I'm really glad this thread showed up though as it could give us all the chance to track this and see where it goes if anyhere.

With any luck, Mr. Daniel Elliot might be able to drop by and weigh in on this!

Cheers,
    Hammer

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for all the responses, since this seems to be somewhat common I'll relax and just enjoy the amp. If it blows up I'll be sure to post again.

I've sent an email to GK and if they reply I'll share the response.

:)

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It won't. Play the heck out of it and be happy. :)

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is good news to me. I hope nothing comes of it Bob.

Peace,
    Adam

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I think it's resolved, thanks for standing behind your old amp Adam. Very cool. :hyper:

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm a senior electronics student and I also own a 1001RB-II. I know what smell you're talking about and I was a little concerned as well. I always noticed it right when the fan kicked on (it was very mild) and then it went away after a minute. So I took the cover off and examined it. The board was immaculate with very clean soldering and no burn marks or any obvious signs. Judging from this and the fact that it went away after a minute I concluded it wasn't smoke but "heat" I was smelling.

So in my semi-professinal opinion you have nothing to worry about.

On an unrelated sidenote, damn I love my GK.:smug:

17. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    I had one and loved that head and I had the same smell , and I never had a problem with it. It will go away after a few smelly bar gigs believe me. It's a great head.

18. I can't say I've heard much about this at all. I'll check with the engineering guys on Monday.

19. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Mine smells like stale cigarette smoke and fog machine. If someone knows how to get rid of that smell I love to know what it is.

20. +1

My 1001RB-II was bought new in Nov '05. I still get a funky electronics odor when the fan engages.