Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reefer, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Is anyone using the GK1001RB Version II? These look good on paper, especially for the price and only weigh 18lbs. Any input would be appreciated.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm kind of curious of how the sound of the 700RB-II and 1001RB-II sound in comparison to the 800RB.

I really love the 800RB but I would love the power of the 700RB or 800RB. What makes me skeptical of the 800RB is that I'd be driving it with an 8Ohm load. 200w I'm not sure if it will be enough in my band (we practice pretty loud). Right now I have my Firebass pushing 275w into my Bag End S15X-D and it just cuts it with some minor clipping when I really dig in. I think the extra volume of say 300w may really help.

I'm sorry to kind of thread-steal but it seems relatively on-topic with your thread.

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have one, as well as a year-old 700RB. I haven't owned an 800, but have rented one. Both new-style amps have more power than the 800, especially in the low bass. I also had a previous 1001. Frankly, I don't understand why GK still makes the 800.

The new 1001 is pretty much like the old one, except much less hiss, and I have a thing about hiss, so I like it. I use it to power either one or a pair of 1x12 cabinets, and it works fine. The 1x12s (I have a pair each of Bergantinos and Epifanis) are surprisingly power hungry and the 1001 is powerful enough to make them sound good.

The difference in power between the 700 and 1001 is real - the 700 sounds OK, but really is just barely adequate with these cabs. My other amp is a mini-rack with a Stewart World 1.2 in it. The GK1001 is pretty close to the Stewart in headroom. The 700 is not.

I use the 1001 as my every-day amp these days. The Stewart sits as backup. And the 700 is backup for the backup (and I should probably sell it, since I don't use it at all any more).

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Have you looked into, as I mentioned, the 700RB-II and 1001RB-II?

The 700RB-II to has more power (480w @ 4Ohms) and the 1001RB-II has more power as well (700w @ 4Ohms).

Is the hissing factor the only real difference you've noticed, or is there other tonal differences within the heads?

I really like the 800RB's tone quite a bit.

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 1001 II and an older 700/112 combo. The 1001 II sounds very similar to my 700. I like them both (My 700 is the older, less powerfull one)

Like Josh Walsh, I had to touch up the solder on the 700. No problem with the 1001 II.

From what I understand, these heads have a bit more control over the voicing than the 800 (Daniel, chime in here please). So a 700 or 1001 can sound like an 800 if that's what your looking for.

I love both of mine.

Matt

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    What exactly did you guys retouch and why? My 700RB/210 combo has some scratchy pots; is that the symptoms you guys were dealing with? If so, what did you do? Thanks!

7. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Yes, I have the same question. What did you guys touch up and why? Im running a 2000RB and so far it seems fine, but if there is a need for preventative maintanence I would like to know.

By the way, Ive bypassed the preamp in my 2000RB and im using it as a power amp only. This is done by plugging the instrument or preamp to the return input in back. I just found this out recently and saved some cash by not getting a power amp. Is this bad? Have any of you GK users tried this?
    Thanks,
    Mike

8. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I touched up two or three solder joints where the pots join the preamp board. I had an intermitant loss of volume that was fixed after I touched them up.

Scratchy pots, if they are consistant with turning the knob, sound like dirty pots. If they get scratchy with pressure on the knob, it may be the solder joints on that pot.

You should have no problem running your 2000 as a power amp only. I do like the GK preamp sound, though.

Matt

9. Besides the new look and more power we did some internal upgrades to make it more reliable and more efficient. We went with higher quality pots, added bracing to the preamp board to make it more road worthy and some technical stuff that's frankly beyond my comprehension. So far, we have only had three 1001RB-II amps come back with a problem and each one was something unique. None of them were soldiering issues. I don't recall seeing any 700RB-II or 400RB-IV heads come back at all.

Tonewise, the 700 and 1001 have more low end and are brighter in the high mid than the 800RB. To get the 800RB sound, you would set your treble and hi mid to about 10 or 11 oclock and roll off a touch of the bass. If you use the contour button on the 800, set the contour knob on the 1001 almost all the way up and that should match it. We find that most people like the contour at about 12 oclock or so.

We still make the 800 because it's still very much in high demand. There are hundreds of players out there that won't use anything but the 800RB. Also, I believe it's the only remaining bass amp that is biampable in the traditional sense.

Did you know the 800RB was the first small format, lightweight bass head, and the first to have a DI?

10. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, Dan, as long as you can keep selling 800s it makes sense to keep making them. All I meant was IMHO at the same price point the 1001RB blows the 800 into the weeds. So I should have said that I don't understand why anyone still buys the 800, not that GK shouldn't keep making them. But brand and model loyalty is a nice thing in a troubled world.

11. I agree. I don't know why people choose the 800 over the 1001 either, but they do.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Call me crazy, but I think I may choose the 800RB for the reliability and for the way I find it nearly perfect out of the box, tonally.

13. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Dan...you mentioned that people like the contour at noon...I tend to use my recently acquired 700RB with the contour at about 9:00...just tones down the midrange and firms up the bottom a bit.

14. I usually run my contour somewhere between off and 10 oclock.

Brandy Wood just switched back from the 1001 to the 800 because she felt the 1001 was too "modern" sounding for her taste. The 1001 is brighter and has more low end than the 800. I had mine modified though so it matches the 800 almost exactly until you get down to about 100 hz. It still has more bottom and a generally fatter sound because of a more efficient power amp section.

15. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I wanted to post a follow-up on the Contour knob settings. The Bugbass needs a little midrange to come through clearly. On my SWR amps, I actually boost the mids a bit.

My G&L L-1000 is a different story. It sound best with the Contour closer to noon. Plenty of upper midrange already.

I saw a note recently, probably yours, that to approximate an 800RB with the 700RB/1001RB, turn off the Contour and Presence, set the highs and high-mids to around 10 or 11 o'clock, and back off the bass slightly. Those settings provide a smoother sound that reminds me more of my old 400RB.

BTW, I just tried the 700RB biamped and thought that horn hiss was noticeably higher than using the same cab full range unless I used the tweeter rolloff button. But then the highs seemed a bit weak. The cab was an Avatar CB112 (Fostex horn and an Eminence Delta 12LF). What do you hear from GK amp users about the biamp feature?

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Dan, does this mean that the 1001 is 'scooped' in the midrange compared to the 800?

-AC

17. No the midrange section is about the same as the 800, it just has more highs and the low frequency extends down further than an 800rb. Try running with the presence off and the treble at about 10 oclock.

Regarding matching the 800, the contour off and the eq settings like you suggested would match the 800 with the contour button out whereas to match the 800 contour button in, you would want to run it almost all the way up.

18. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    tornado, I think that using the GK biamp feature adds too much hiss, including on my new amp. So I use mine full-range. But, as noted, I have a thing about hiss. The biamp thing is really intended for GK cabs.

FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, the 800 is kind of primitive in the tone control department and lacking in power, especially in the low bass.

19. How are you using the biamp feature without a GK Cabinet?

20. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    In its favor the 700RB is a good value for a mid-priced amp. Lots of tone shaping options to get quite a variety of sounds from it...most of them pretty good. Also, I recall my Eden WT-300 had at least as much hiss and not as much tonal variety. I don't recall my old 400RB being this versatile, either.

I expect that my 700RB will be a keeper, as long as it keeps working. I have it in an SKB X-Rack, so it'll be safe when not in use...all those knobs and buttons need some protection.

BTW, my usual amp is an old SWR SM-400. Near zero hiss and plenty of tonal shaping in a really solid piece of gear...a step beyond the 700RB in construction.