Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 115RBH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammer2748, Jan 1, 2006.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I recently purchased a used 115RBH against the advice of a family relative who warned me that it would fart out on the low B string (sounds great with a standard 4-string). Turns out he was right. Now my settings on the 1001RB-II are volume @ 10:00, contour @ 12:00 (didn't seem to matter which contour/presence setting used), EQ mostly 12:00 across the board (I've adjusted between 11:00 AND 1:00 for various types of music again with pretty much the same results on the low B). Boost is off and the master gain is usually at around 12:00-1:00 at rehearsal levels. I'm running full-range so the tweeter level is moot. It might be worth noting I haven't had a lot of diddle-time with the rig to really try and dial it in yet as I got it right before a time-sensitive rehearsal and a show immediately after.

Am I doing something wrong, am I asking too much of what it can delivery, or is this a common issue for this cab? I do like the tone of the cab and it really delivers via a standard passive 4-string. Only problems are on the Low B string 7th fret on down (Spector Pro-Q 5 w/ active EQ. Feedback appreciated.

Now for larger venues, I pair it up with a Sunn 2x15 and there's no issues. A real sweet blend of old-school warmth and growl with that combination!!!

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
    Hammer

2. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Well, no big surprise.......it was me (EQ settings), and many of you probably already knew that! I finally had an opportunity to sit down and just work the eq and other amp settings and found several sweet spots and now have the GK 115RBH singing well all by itself all the way down to the low b. I live in a condo and can't really work with my rig here, and where I practice with the band isn't easily accessible between rehearsals and shows. In any case, an opportunity opened up recently and I just worked it and worked it and found nirvana! Still though, when I pair the thing up with that Sunn 2x15, the pants legs start flappin, the house foundation starts crumbling, and the paint on the walls starts to peel! Hell this thing could be dangerous! Very clear round tone even for all 15's. I still think that down the road I'll add a 410RBH once the finances fit, though just to have more tools in the box.

Sorry for rambling, but I've been on the hunt for a whole new rig since March 05 for something that would work for me within my budget. Just a quick note of thanks to all those I bothered over the past months seeking advice and opinions. They were all very valuable.

Cheers,
    Hammer